Light-O-Rama Forums

MIDI Wizard

Guest guest

I was playing around the midi wizard and it looked like it was working, boxes flashed to the beat. But when I recorded somthing, it crashed the sequence editor! i know Dan said it was not working quite right yet, is this what he means?

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

I was playing around the midi wizard and it looked like it was working, boxes flashed to the beat. But when I recorded somthing, it crashed the sequence editor! i know Dan said it was not working quite right yet, is this what he means?

--Daniel L
Daniel,
I did ask Dan about this he said the midi wizard will be fully working in LOR-II softwear:waycool:
Jerry Plak:snowman:

Daniel wrote:

--Daniel L

But I will mention that the MIDI wizard works fine in the current software, just that not all of the features are fully functional. All of my music this year was in MIDI form and it was GREAT to run it through the wizard and have all the timing perfect.

Well it's labeled MP3 I suppose. I guess it has to be a MIDI only for the midi wizard? I'm just checking as I'm still learning.

Thanks, Tom

LightORama wrote:

Santas Helper wrote:
I click on the midi wizard and nothing is happening. AmI doing something wrong?

Thanks, Tom

Are you using a MIDI file?

Rick Hughes wrote:

Yes, the MIDI Wizard requires a true MIDI file. MP3 files don't contain the structure for the wizard to understand timing, instruments, beats, etc.

Thanks Rick, that explains it a little better. What would be an advantage of MIDI vs MP3. I thought MIDI files were usually small? Just wondering.

Thanks again, Tom

In my case, and in a nutshell ... I am rhythmically challenged and can't tap a song that I'm satisfied with. MP3 files are in very general terms sound files same as a recording would be.

A MIDI file allows the computer to "recreate" the sound because it includes all the information about what instruments are playing what notes. Thus, the MIDI files includes the exact timing of all the notes. So using the MIDI Wizard can create a much more precise timing grid.

However, LOR II is expected to have superior tools for those of us in the rhythmically challenged bench.

In my case, and in a nutshell ... I am rhythmically challenged and can't tap a song that I'm satisfied with. MP3 files are in very general terms sound files same as a recording would be.

A MIDI file allows the computer to "recreate" the sound because it includes all the information about what instruments are playing what notes. Thus, the MIDI files includes the exact timing of all the notes. So using the MIDI Wizard can create a much more precise timing grid.

However, LOR II is expected to have superior tools for those of us in the rhythmically challenged bench.

Rick Hughes wrote:

Thanks Rick for that more indepth answer. I'll be a MIDI wizard myself here pretty quick - lol. So can I convert a MP3 song that's 3 minutes long to a midi file? If so, how can it be done? So if this is a stupid question.

Thanks again, Tom

I don't believe there is a way to convert MP3 to MIDI.

Think of it like this ... if you mix white and red paint you get pink. But you can't (easily) do the reverse and separate pink into red and white.

You could use a MIDI file to create an MP3, but it's not likely to do the reverse.

Rick Hughes wrote:

I don't believe there is a way to convert MP3 to MIDI.

Think of it like this ... if you mix white and red paint you get pink. But you can't (easily) do the reverse and separate pink into red and white.

You could use a MIDI file to create an MP3, but it's not likely to do the reverse.

SO I'm stuck with Pink. Dang the luck - lol :laughing: I really appreciate your inputs. I'll see what midi files are out there that I can play with. Do you know of any?

Thanks, Tom