Light-O-Rama Forums

Water in CCR

jimswinder

Anyone else experienced water getting into their CCR Ribbon and shorting it out?

Mine were vertical and only the bottom part has water in it.

I know I could contact LOR and have it replaced under warranty, but unfortunately I probably voided the warranty by putting Water-Proof connectors on the ends of my CCR's.

Oops! Maybe those connectors were not as waterproof as you thought.

Yes Jim, just like your mega-trees, water runs down hill - sorry, I couldn't resist :)

I haven't had any issue at all with CCRs getting water in them. Although it should be noted that we ordinarily don't get much precipitation in liquid form during lighting season. But I've a few that have been outside continuously for going on four years now without any moisture problems.

Oops! Maybe those connectors were not as waterproof as you thought.

Yes Jim, just like your mega-trees, water runs down hill - sorry, I couldn't resist :)

LOL...no...you could tell the top 2/3 of the ribbon was bone dry...

Jim, if you can't get it replaced by LOR... they might be willing to send you a section of 5 or so pixels that can be used to repair the ribbon. I've got quite a lot of experience at removing them from the silicone case and repairing them. If you're interested and don't want to do it yourself, PM me and I'll give you my address. Send just the ribbon to me and I'll make the repairs and send it right back to you. (probably faster than LOR could too... ;-))

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...LOR has sent me out sections before and I have repaired two other ribbons that way...

Side Note: I did put in a Help Desk ticket and they said to send it back to them, even though I had modified the plug...

Gotta Love LOR!!!!!

Edited by jimswinder

Very nice Jim!

BTW, to anyone wondering... I've found a way to easily slide the cover off the ribbon. Open both ends using a Jewler's screwdriver to release the silicone sealant from the ribbon. Slide it back just far enough to solder 4 conductor ribbon wire similar to this. Then have someone hold the ribbon and slowly pull and slide the cover onto the wire. Make your repairs and slide the cover back over the ribbon. LOR includes a tube of sealant to close it up after you're done.

Jeff

Hey Jeff...

Is there an easy way to tell which section is bad..other than it not lighting? I noticed on this ribbon it was "All White", even when I did the "test" from the controller...

Edited by jimswinder

normally it is the first one that is acting up or the one before the first one that is acting up

it sounds like you are saying the whole ribbon is acting up I would try a diffrent controller and if it still acts up I would say its safe to assume its the first pixel

Edited by TitusCarnathan

• The topic was locked