Light-O-Rama Forums

Fog Machine Help

NWSanta

Hey Guys,
I have a Fog Machine that is last years model of this one.
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/lighting/foggers-bubbles/Eliminator/E-119.asp

It works by pressing the button down for an amount of time and the unit fogs.
It only allows fogging to occur if it has been powered up for 3 minutes to warm up; thus it needs constant power to keep the steamer warm. You can't just plug it in and have instant fog.

It fogs when you close the circuit with the switch.

SOooooo
My question is: Can I somehow use LOR to close the circuit on the switch to have it fog at random interval's instead of me having to press the button all the time?
My initial thought was to use a Timer and just wire it in series with switch closing and opening the circuit but, I don't know if that will work either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Evan

Hmmmm....

Think I'll have to get my Fog machine out. Just have to buy a relay and I've already got lots of dc power supplies kicking around...
Thanks Dave
I'll post pics and info if I get it to work.

Thanks a lot
Evan

When I did the modification to my fogger I used a 12v Radio Shack relay: #275-248. It is a SPDT relay with contacts rated for 10-amps at 125VAC so it will easily do the job. Also, I didn't bother to use a PC board like the guy on the webpage. I just hardwired the relay to the switch contacts using short lengths of wire.

I used a laser light in last years display with a ‘snowflake’ pattern but I found it didn’t show up very well. So this year I am going to try the fog with the laser to see if it will make a bigger impact. Plus, my wife has drawn the line at no pyrotechnics so fog and laser are the closest I can get while maintain my marriage. ;)

- Dave

Dave,
Have you tried making a Fog Chiller?
The Fog Chiller works great as it condenses the fog and allows for a better "hanging" effect.

Check out my Wife's Website:
http://boosandghouls.active.ws
It's under the 2006/7 projects. It works really really well....

-Evan

Great Website, Evan. I have been so busy planning, sequencing and building for this Christmas season that I haven't even thought about Halloween. Ahhhh!

You have given me some great ideas...I will have to quit my job to have the time to do everything I want to do, however!:?

Thanks,

- Dave