Light-O-Rama Forums

Dropbox and Running shows

LOR Staff

This is very preliminary and could be wrong, but I thought I would bring it to everyone's attention now.

One of our Beta testers has discovered a possible interaction between the Show Player and Dropbox. This interaction may effect you if you run a show directly from your Dropbox folder.

The Dropbox application that runs in your system tray will periodically open the files in the Dropbox folder looking for changes. If the Show Player tries to access a sequence while Dropbox has the file open, the Show Player can throw an error and possibly lock up the computer.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the error in terms of our code, since it appears that Dropbox is opening the file for 'Exclusive' access. However you can eliminate the problem by NOT running a show with sequences in the Dropbox folder. Instead, copy the files OUTSIDE of the Dropbox and run the show using the files from this location.

We are still gathering information on this interaction. If any of you run a show with sequences in the Dropbox folder, please let us know your experiences, if you see errors, etc.

This interaction may also extend to other 'File Synchronization" services besides Dropbox.

I am using DropBox and love it.

Not I can use my laptop outside (Wireless) and make changes to sequences and will be available next time the sequence is qued up.

Maybe not the best way but it works for me, even if there is a narrow window file conflict.

In no way am I bad mouthing Dropbox. I use it extensively here with customers as well. It's just that we are starting to see 'funkiness' that appears to go away if the sequences are removed from the local Dropbox folder.

Thanks for posting this DevMike. I wonder if this is why I am getting this error message for example;

ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Error playing media file: Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.) Musical: C:\Users\owner\Dropbox\Sequences 2012\2012 Silent Night and Christmas Story.lms

I looked in the folder and it is there. This is an issue with several songs. Unfortunately I really didn't get to see this behavior myself...only with what the status window tells me. Really would like to solve this real quick since I am going to see the Mouse (Disney World) with my Wed. morning.

When I came in a few hours ago from work my wife mentioned she thought the show was running short for some reason. LOVE Dropbox and being able to edit things on the fly.

I wonder if I have this folder open on another computer...will this effect the folder on the show computer????

Thanks for posting this DevMike. I wonder if this is why I am getting this error message for example;

ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Error playing media file: Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.) Musical: C:\Users\owner\Dropbox\Sequences 2012\2012 Silent Night and Christmas Story.lms

I looked in the folder and it is there. This is an issue with several songs. Unfortunately I really didn't get to see this behavior myself...only with what the status window tells me. Really would like to solve this real quick since I am going to see the Mouse (Disney World) with my Wed. morning.

When I came in a few hours ago from work my wife mentioned she thought the show was running short for some reason. LOVE Dropbox and being able to edit things on the fly.

I wonder if I have this folder open on another computer...will this effect the folder on the show computer????

The basic error I made was making not sure the sequences media file actually was configured for the audio file in dropbox. Everythime I had an error and thought it was a bug in the software, it really was my mistake when I checked my sequences and found the media file was pointing to my original location and not to the dropbox folder audio file.

My show it running perfect now once I fixed my sequence audio links.

I had all my audio files in drop box too. But I thought mine was pointed to the right file. I went back and resaved (save as) with the dropbox audio file. It still gave me that error.