Light-O-Rama Forums

ABC Show Casting Call "Lights, Camera, Christmas"

CLD Kevin

A casting company that was hired by ABC is putting together a new xmas show called "LIGHTS, CAMERA, CHRISTMAS". It's a network reality competition based on elaborate Christmas light displays all around the United States. They contacted me and wanted to know if I wanted to be a part of the show. I declined (no show this year), but told them I know where to find many that may want to participate...you think? :D Did I mention you compete for a cash prize? Dont forget...I get a finder’s fee. :)

Part of the deal is you MUST of personally decorated your home....you and your friends and/or family. They don’t want people that hired someone to do it for them. So if Mr. Holdman designed, program and had a crew install the lighting on your home.....then sorry, you don’t qualify.

Send in your info like NOW becasue xmas is just around the corner.

Lights_Camera_Christmas_Flyer.jpg

Edited by CLD Kevin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Orville

• rainyoregonchristmas

• HiTechLights

• CLD Kevin

ABC came to the house for 3 hours on our last testing night. Tara said she would let me know when the show will start and provide a link online. This was ABC out of Tallahassee, FL channel 27 !!

I received an email back within 15 minutes...with all the paperwork attached you need to fill out and the need to make a 5-10 minute video

Hi Jim!!!!

I look forward to working with you both through the casting process. Below is all the information you need to know about submitting a video audition and attached you will find documents you need to sign, fill and return to us. Remember, the turn around is ASAP. Call or email if you have any questions.

CONGRATULATIONS! We are excited to consider you for ABC’s “Lights, Camera, Christmas!” In order for our Producers to consider you, you will need to create a fun 5-10 minute video introducing us to yourself, your family and showing us your over-the-top Christmas decorations! Once finished, you should upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo and email us the link. In addition, please send us links to videos of your decorated home from previous years, if you have any.

This is your time to show us your CHRISTMAS CHEER! So be ENERGETIC, have LOTS OF PERSONALITY and GET CREATIVE! This is not the time to be humble; this is the time to brag about your Christmas lights display and what makes YOU stand out. There is no right or wrong thing to say in your video, but please make sure to include the following:

Lights, Camera, Christmas!

**HOW TO MAKE A GREAT HOMETAPE**

CONGRATULATIONS! We are excited to consider you for ABC’s “Lights, Camera, Christmas!” In order for our Producers to consider you, you will need to create a fun 5-10 minute video introducing us to yourself, your family and showing us your over-the-top Christmas decorations! Once finished, you should upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo and email us the link. In addition, please send us links to videos of your decorated home from previous years, if you have any.

This is your time to show us your CHRISTMAS CHEER! So be ENERGETIC, have LOTS OF PERSONALITY and GET CREATIVE! This is not the time to be humble; this is the time to brag about your Christmas lights display and what makes YOU stand out. There is no right or wrong thing to say in your video, but please make sure to include the following:

· Start out your video with you and your family introducing yourselves in front of your house. Say something like, “We are the Jones family from Chicago, Illinois and we LOVE Christmas!”

· Everyone that lives in your home should introduce themselves with their name, age, occupation and their role in the family. For example, dad would say, “I’m the dad, John! I’m 42 years old and I’m an accountant. This is my daughter, Jane.” Jane would continue, “I’m Jane and I’m 11 years old.” Everyone that lives in your house should be included on your tape.

· Have each of your family members tell us what they think about your light show. Who in your family thinks you take it too far? For example, Jane says, “I’m Jane, the daughter! I like the inflatable carousel the best!” Grandma says, “I’m the grandma, Flo. I think the music is way too loud!”

· Show us around your lights display, including any inflatable or animated features.

· Tell us about your favorite light or feature!

· How long have you been decorating?

· How has your display changed over the years?

· How many lights do you use?

· How long does it take you to put everything up?

· Why do you do it?

· How much have you spent on lights?

· What is your electric bill like?

· What do your neighbors think?

· What makes your house different and unique?

· Tell us anything else that may set you apart from another home or family.

Above all, we want to see your personality and excitement about the holiday and your lights display!

Email the link to your video along with your completed applications to ChristmasShowCasting@gmail.com. You should fill out the main application form, your spouse or any other 18+ should fill out the adult form, and if you happen to have any minors in the home, they should fill out that form, as well. Please be sure to write your name and location in the subject of the email (for example, “Hometape Submission-Jones Family-Chicago, IL”)

GOOD LUCK and please let us know if you have ANY questions…we’re here to help!

James - Casting Department

Casting Associate

616-560-1912 ©

Lights, Camera, Christmas!

Edited by jimswinder

Wow...I thought it was suppose to be about the light show...not a dog and pony show. They said it was about crazy decorations and family so I can understand why they want the video. Be excited and energetic...they love that stuff. Might be tough for you older grumpy folks :-)

Good luck Jim.

Call me stupid, but am I the only one that thinks this sounds a little fishy? No offense Kevin! Between the funky gmail addresses (Gmail does business email accounts with custom names) and the generic ABC logo with no trademark or copyright symbols in sight except for next to the guys phone number. I'm probably just being overly suspicious, but something doesn't seem right.

It could just be the casting company doing this. My coworker was just interview by a casting company & the producers of Ice Road Truckers about a snow plowing show in Duluth, Mn. and they didn't say what channel it would be on. So it leads me to believe it just the casting company your contacting.

Call me stupid, but am I the only one that thinks this sounds a little fishy? No offense Kevin! Between the funky gmail addresses (Gmail does business email accounts with custom names) and the generic ABC logo with no trademark or copyright symbols in sight except for next to the guys phone number. I'm probably just being overly suspicious, but something doesn't seem right.

No offense taken….its wise to be cautions. I kinda checked out the guy before posting. I spoke with James on the phone. He doesn’t work for ABC if that what you’re thinking. He works for a casting company in Burbank, CA called “Keep Calm and Carry On Productions”. Strange name I thought, but when I Google the name, I found a couple of links that showed them and ABC doing a couple of shows together including ABC’s ‘Duets’. ABC hired the casting company to find the “talent” for the show. He’s a casting associated and probably a temp or just hired for this show as the turnaround for these people are super high. After his job is done…its move on to the next job.

I can tell you for from past experience …. I email several people during the whole hoopla last year that worked for casting and production companies and many used gmail…as well as other non-business names.

I sent James an email to provide more info on the company and to explain why the gmail account to ease anyone minds that are unsure. Here is what he send back.

Hi everyone. My name is James and I'm working in casting for the new ABC reality competition series "Lights Camera Christmas"! Some may be skeptical of the casting due to my gmail email handle. I can assure you that if you go to the ABC.com website (http://abc.go.com/si...ting?noredirect) for casting, you will see the "Untitled Christmas Show" section with the information that you find on the flyer as well as a casting gmail ChristmasShowCasting@gmail.com - There are a lot of associates working on this project that I use my personal casting account to organize my leads to pitch to producers. Hope this eases the minds of many and we look forward to seeing your Christmas displays. Happy Holidays! :)

Also they are looking for anyone that is centralized within 100 miles from Los Angeles, Atlanta, Philadelphia, New York and Chicago. They want submissions from those cities as well if anyone is interested. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by CLD Kevin

Thanks for the follow up Kevin. Pretty interesting stuff. Heck if they came to my house my display might break there lenses. Maybe next year. Lol!

• 2 weeks later...

I know my display isn't as big or as awesome as many of yours, but I did send in a video of my display to James. We'll see what happens next.

They sent me the stuff also. I took a look at what they wanted and decided that being a lazy old grump I didn't have the time or patience to screw around with it.

Edited by George Simmons

I didn't see any fine print with what I was sent via e-mail. Not saying there isn't any and I haven't signed anything officially yet, and won't until I know and read all the particulars. Noone, not NOONE is going to "own my display for all time". Ain't gonna happen!

Get yerself a magnifying glass Orv. I don't know what they sent you, but it's there. That was about the point where mine went into the trash.

Edited by George Simmons

Get yerself a magnifying glass Orv. I don't know what they sent you, but it's there. That was about the point where mine went into the trash.

I just got an e-mail, no attachments, so if it were in a file, like a pdf, that I was supposed to fill out and send back, I didn't get it.

And I have a lot of different magnifiers, some lighted, as well as use very large fonts when reading anything on my computer screen.

Edited by Orville

I think I spent too much time reading the consent, waiver, release form.... then I got all paranoid about all the things that could happen.... FCC fine, copyright infringment lawsuits... etc...

Pissed off girlfriend and neighbors.... all to be on TV for maybe one night...

Hmm... I dunno

A casting company that was hired by ABC is putting together a new xmas show called "LIGHTS, CAMERA, CHRISTMAS". It's a network reality competition based on elaborate Christmas light displays all around the United States. They contacted me and wanted to know if I wanted to be a part of the show. I declined (no show this year), but told them I know where to find many that may want to participate...you think? :D Did I mention you compete for a cash prize? Dont forget...I get a finder’s fee. :)

Part of the deal is you MUST of personally decorated your home....you and your friends and/or family. They don’t want people that hired someone to do it for them. So if Mr. Holdman designed, program and had a crew install the lighting on your home.....then sorry, you don’t qualify.

Send in your info like NOW becasue xmas is just around the corner.

Lights_Camera_Christmas_Flyer.jpg

Look at the print right above my post "All submissions become the property of producer". Didn't we go through this last year or the year before? As said before "No one but me is going to OWN my video". That gives them permission to make money off of your hard work without giving you a dime.

No Thank You!!!

Edited by kzaas

This wording is standard practice and likely necessary for marketing and broadcasting. Likely allows them to use the submission for broadcast and advertising for their show (not intended as legal advice) . Look at ANY open submission form and you will find the same wording and notice.

Wow...I thought it was suppose to be about the light show...not a dog and pony show. They said it was about crazy decorations and family so I can understand why they want the video. Be excited and energetic...they love that stuff. Might be tough for you older grumpy folks :-)

That's why I don't even bother to watch these shows anymore, much less desire to star in one. For a year or two, they did a few shows that featured some nice displays. Then each year it became more about 'drama' than lights. Wow, these people are INSANE! Let's talk to the neighbors about how bad they are! Look, here come the cops! (In one case, I knew the decorator. In real life, the cop stopped by to discuss plans for the "light up" block party that night, no issues at all. On the show, they made it out to be that the neighbors were calling them).

Just reading through that list of requirements bugs me. They're encouraging even inter-family drama (the wife hates the display, but hubby forces it down the family's throat anyway... it's Christmas after all!"

Bleah. Count me out. And I mean watching it.

My girlfriend and I should have no problem with drama.

She wants a clean house... I want to work on sequencing a new song.

She wants me to fold my laundry ... I want to work on making more mini-trees

She wants me to listen to what she was saying...... uh ha yeah.... ok..... yeah....uh ha.... ok..... yeah.