Light-O-Rama Forums

Optimizing LOR Files

kevin

Finally ran a test on this years show to see how it all would work. Things went fine, but I have a LONG delay while the scheduler loads up the new songs. I have the scheduler set to use compressed files. It appears that the songs under 150meg are not to bad of a delay loading but anything over 150meg is taking over 22 sec to load. About half of my show are the larger files. Over 7600 channels. That's a long dark silence when watching a light show.

My computer is a new I7 with 16gb of ram. My data drive is a SATA 2 drive. I don't want to get into my system details but it is a high end system with quality parts and great performance. My SSD drive is too small to put my show on.

I am assuming that the LOR scheduler loads the files from the hard drive each time they are played and that is causing my delays between songs. It also causes my DMX listener to go off line during the heavy PC traffic. I also noticed that the background sequence does not work during this time either.

Is there any way to optimizing the LOR file to reduce size? I have already deleted the animation screens and all unassigned channels (my beat track and separators) and tracks. I have also redid all my video/audio files to reduce their size as much as possible, without going overboard on the CODECs to ensure compatibility.

Any help or suggestions to increase my show speed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

I'm using the preload, but it that isn't helping. It doesnt appear the preload loads all the sequences up front, just one at a time before they are played. By watching the logs it appears to be just one at a time, and loads the entire sequence up all at once instead of loading chunks of it while it is playing.

The above discription of my system has an error in it. The data drive is the 6gb transfer rate SATA III drives

Edited by kevin

Preload definitely is loading everything up-front for me - it even shows the loads in the status window as the show starts. My sequences are pretty large (about 4800 channels, and pretty 'busy') but they switch between songs instantly once preloaded.

I am having a problem of changes to a sequence not added the next time.

Yes it finally does pick it up but not the next time it is needed.

Only have the "Sequences added when needed" checked.

Guest wbottomley

LOR needs to look into this problem. The time it takes to preload the sequences is undetermined. So mine load on the fly. Even using compressed sequences, it can take up to 30 seconds per sequence. This is unacceptable.

LOR needs to look into this problem. The time it takes to preload the sequences is undetermined. So mine load on the fly. Even using compressed sequences, it can take up to 30 seconds per sequence. This is unacceptable.

I'm not sure I understand why you're not preloading? It seems more acceptable to me to have a single batch of "dead air" at the start of a show, then dead air between every sequence. But I'm probably missing something.