Light-O-Rama Forums

mega tree

dsz071

How many channels are needed for a proper 3 color mega tree? I'll be getting a 32 channel setup for next year and I'm already starting to plan thins out. I'm thinking like 8 stands per color but that only leaves me with 8 channels for the rest of my setup.

Depending on what colors your using, I would use 16 channels for two colors (8 channels per two colors) and one more channel for all of the third color and use that as an impact color for big parts of the songs. For example: If white is being used, then use white (all on one channel) as a "all on" impact during the show and use the other colors for chases and and such. And you can still fade up and down on that one color as well.

This will leave 15 channels for the rest of your display.

Just my thoughts.

How does one set up the mega tree? I mean the wiring. For the white like you described would it be an extension cord comingoff the one channel that would then service all the white lights or something different?

How does one set up the mega tree? I mean the wiring. For the white like you described would it be an extension cord comingoff the one channel that would then service all the white lights or something different?

Yes, exactly.

I have a 3 color 15' Mega Spiral tree (first year) and I am using 8 channels per color. It is OK I am thinking next year of going to 12 channels each

This is my first year and I elected to do "multi" lights, therefore all colors but I ran 32 individual strings and all individually controlled. 16 spiraled one direction and 16 the other direction. The result was pretty nice and got lots of nice comments. Again, newbie this year but not a single complaint so far.

This is our first year and we did 16 white strands and 16 red strands with 8 channel for each. We hooked up the same color lights 180 degrees apart on the same channel. We have had complimments and we are pleased with the results. Next year we are thinking of adding 16 green strands and 8 more channels.

I have a 16 channel, 4 color mega tree........4 channels per color, but I double up the string on the opposite side so it appears that there's 8 channels per color. It doens't rotate as smoothly as I'd like, but I wanted 4 colors. I have a second box now, but haven't had time to program it. I have to say, given what I know now, I'd do 8 channels per color. If you want it to rotate well, you want 8 channels per.

D

This is my third year. I keep enhancing itm a little bit every year. I started with mini lights but finally switched to leds this year. Mostly because of the cost and the infancy of leds. Wow! Everyone loves them so much better. Everytime I go out to distribute candy canes some one comments about the mega tree. I've been using 16 channels of red/green/blue since day one. I've purchased 16 strings of white leds this year. This will be for the spiral / weber tree effects. Hopefully I'll have them up and sequenced before Christmas gets here. I started with a 15' tree but raised it to a 20' last year. Self designed tree with a 30' circumference. The point here is, you may need to base the number of strings / channels you need on the size of the tree your considering. Oh one more thing. Actually two. A friend of mine had the wind take his down two years ago. Still leary of my design as a result. And this is the one thing that takes the longest to set up and tear down each year. If you want to see some detailed pics of my tree, I'm hoping to have some posted on my website in another week or so. lakevictorialights.com