Light-O-Rama Forums

Polarized Vampire plug issue

Ruby60

OK, my first attempt at using vampire plugs has brought up an issue: I needed a short run of 2 feet, so I thought this is perfect for my first use of vampire plugs. Made the short extension cord and went to install it. I wanted it to go from one light string to another...well, the one side plugs in to the female no problem, but the male end of my cord will not plug in to another light strings female receptacle because of the wide blade on the plug. I'm disappointed.

So are there non-polarized male vampire plugs? ... or do I need to find a male plug from a broken light set and splice it to my cable?

any other work around?

Thanks,

David

I sense the smell of solder in your future...

I've squirreled away salvage cords and ends from light sets for years and have found many occasions where a non-traditional extension cord comes in useful for avoiding the polarized issue.

This is not to code! But, on a couple of items that I need to connect together I made a special cord that I did grind down the netural (wide) leg. I also made and highly marked a couple of the three to two convertors that would fit the bill. Once again not CODE.

I'm not sure if this will help in your situation, but you could use an inline female vampire plug to create a cord with two or more female outlets. A normal female vampire plug can be converted to an inline but you have to cut some of the plastic to allow the zip cord to pass through it.

IMHO this is safer because it maintains the polarity (as long as your vampire plugs are connected to the zip cord correctly).

Jerry

Just get your wire cutters and trim the wider blade of the plug at an angle. Takes about 20 seconds and your done. Wear eye protection if grinding or cutting either way.

All this talk of extra work of making cords and plug ends is making me tired. :P

Edited by Santas Helper

Thanks for all the info. I had thought about grinding down the blade, but I wasn't sure if that should be done... but it sounds like I wouldn't be the first to do that. I like the idea of an additional female vampire plug...hmmm, will have to see if that fits in this situation. And, I do have some of the Leviton plugs around... I'm thinking....Dremel to the rescue!

Thanks everyone!

David