Light-O-Rama Forums

Best way to record your display for YouTube

drums114

I want to record my display but I am worried that if I record the lights and then try and overlay the music on top later it wont be in sync. What is the best way? I also don't have a mic input in my camera - I wish it did :(.

I use Final Cut to sync it up and I do it by eye, but sound-for-picture is what I do for a living so my perspective on how "easy" it is may be way off.

Any picture editor like Final Cut or Premiere or Vegas, etc... should be able to line up sound and picture. Just nudge the audio back and forth until it looks in sync to you. Then export to YouTube's best settings - good info here: https://support.goog...&answer=1727361

If I can be of more direct assistance just PM me.

Charlie

Edited by Push Eject

MS Movie Maker might be so far below Charlie's strata that he doesn't even think of it or consider it as an option, but for a basic free editor, it does an okay job.

MS Movie Maker might be so far below Charlie's strata that he doesn't even think of it or consider it as an option, but for a basic free editor, it does an okay job.

No, no, absolutely! I know that I'm missing the forest for the trees. Just do what we used to do when syncing up old episodes of Matlock: "find a car door close and HANG ON!"

What that means is: sync up a big hit or stab and hope the rest lines up. Any editor that lets you move audio against picture will work. Trust your eyes. If it looks right, IT'S RIGHT.

I carry a small radio out with me so that the music is always in sync. Why would you waste time overlaying music when you can just record it with the show.

My patients wouldn't allow me to sync my music up. This is what I do...

Film at dawn or dusk

Park the ride behind where you are recording. Lucky we have a SUV and I pop the trunk and sit there

Get you one of those el-cheap-o tripods (because you will get tired)

Import it into YouTube and darken the background

At the end of the day it's just lights

A tip to sync overlay music (original over recorded). a a couple of seconds of blank to the beginning of the sequence. Use audiocity and inject very low or very high tone in the blank space (one your speakers will not reproduce). Using wave form in LOR you can see the tone, Add a flash of a key light or a couple of lights to match the tone. Record as usual (the short flash won't distaract. Import the recorded video and the original audio with the tone into your video software (I use AVS4YOU). Delete the recorded audio and overlay the original audio. Move the audio forward or backward to match the tone (from the wave form, (sorry video edit software must have waveform for this to work). Save the new video. Now video with clean audio/

I use windows movie maker, the newer version will output 1080p and it takes all of a minute to sync the music with the MP3

Edited by GoofyGuy