Light-O-Rama Forums

A pic of my display for 2012

rainyoregonchristmas

Here's a picture of my display in static mode, minus strobes, and floods. I've enjoyed setting it up. Cars are stopping just to look at it even in this mode, just wait, the real surprise stars on Friday at 6:30 when I have my first "Switch Party" as a Newbie. Wish me luck!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!124&authkey=!ADpxyK_RfWKJ5cU

-RainyOregonChristmas

• Like 1

Had my switch party tonight! Had 20 people show up, lots of ooh's and ahh's. It was well, well worth it! I even had a friend offer to come and help setup next year. We'll see if he follows through.

I had never thought about having a small amount of space. In May I spent a day with a clipboard and a 100' tape measure. I had a goal of what I wanted to do, and an idea of how many channels I would need. I also inventoried my lights so I knew what I could accomplish with the lights I had on hand. From there it all just came together.

The two story blank wall that faces the street has been my biggest challenge, but also an excellent opportunity to be creative. Last year with Mr. Christmas it had 6 snowflakes, this year with LOR it has a dozen snowflakes, next year I would like to change it to a pixel screen. That's a lofty goal that if I went CCP's would cost me $2,400.00 for equipment alone. THAT is going to take some creativity to work around.

Love the Gift Boxes!!! I'm making some for next year!!!

How do you make those gift boxes? I've only seen the ones you purchase?

Bud

They are a scaled down version of a package I had in the static portion of my display last year. It was a 4 1/2 foot cube covered in 2 mil clear painters plastic. It tended to collect condensation inside, and rain on top. So because of the water issue I redesigned them for this year. Here's a photo of last years box.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!126&authkey=!AFrxYDUE8JuPa2E

The design of this years presents was not what I had planned initially. I wanted them to have a wire frame so that I could fold and collapse them flat for the off season. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to finish machining the hinges that would have allowed them to fold flat. So instead I made the frames out of 1 x 2" pine. The boxes are 2' x 2', however when I redo them in the off season I will remake them in random sizes. That'll look better under the tree. They are wrapped with a bow to make them look better in the daylight. As far as the fabric, that comes from growing up in the nursery industry, it's frost blanket fabric. It comes in rolls several hundred feet long and I believe 20 feet wide, but it is durable and allows the water to pass through and not build up on top or cause condensation inside. I thought it was a great solution to the water issue. As far as the lights, I just used some strings of LEDs draped around the inside. I treat them like you would a mini tree. I'll get a closeup photo of my boxes tomorrow in the daylight.

If any of you are interested I would be willing to make several sets after I tear down this years display. I'll make them to my original design out of 1/4" mild steel round bar stock with my folding hinge design. PM me if you are interested and I'll send you some photos when I have one of my new sets done. I'll even make it fun, I don't accept cash, I only trade or barter.

• Like 1

They are a scaled down version of a package I had in the static portion of my display last year. It was a 4 1/2 foot cube covered in 2 mil clear painters plastic. It tended to collect condensation inside, and rain on top. So because of the water issue I redesigned them for this year. Here's a photo of last years box.

https://skydrive.liv...AFrxYDUE8JuPa2E

The design of this years presents was not what I had planned initially. I wanted them to have a wire frame so that I could fold and collapse them flat for the off season. Unfortunately, I ran out of time to finish machining the hinges that would have allowed them to fold flat. So instead I made the frames out of 1 x 2" pine. The boxes are 2' x 2', however when I redo them in the off season I will remake them in random sizes. That'll look better under the tree. They are wrapped with a bow to make them look better in the daylight. As far as the fabric, that comes from growing up in the nursery industry, it's frost blanket fabric. It comes in rolls several hundred feet long and I believe 20 feet wide, but it is durable and allows the water to pass through and not build up on top or cause condensation inside. I thought it was a great solution to the water issue. As far as the lights, I just used some strings of LEDs draped around the inside. I treat them like you would a mini tree. I'll get a closeup photo of my boxes tomorrow in the daylight.

If any of you are interested I would be willing to make several sets after I tear down this years display. I'll make them to my original design out of 1/4" mild steel round bar stock with my folding hinge design. PM me if you are interested and I'll send you some photos when I have one of my new sets done. I'll even make it fun, I don't accept cash, I only trade or barter.

Awesome looking!! Thx for the info!

Wow! Great idea. And like m1ke05 said, you could use PVC (seems i'll be using a LOT of PVC in the future) I'll PM you.

Bud

Nice! also a big fan of the gifts and need some