Light-O-Rama Forums

Easier Sequence Sharing and "the Cloud"!

Rapajez

Hey Everybody,

After reading through a dozen sequence chains, I thought there had to be an easier method than all the PM'ing and emails. I'm sure others are already using Dropbox to sync Light-o-Rama files between multiple systems they sequence on, and separate show computers. (If not, I provided steps in the quote box at the end.)

Anyway, once you have a sequence in Dropbox, you can right-click on the file and select "Dropbox --> Share this File", then press "Copy link to Clipboard". This will provide a link you can paste in a forum. Anyone can click the link to instantly download the file. Not only that, but if you make any updates to the sequence, the forum link will automatically point to the latest version. I'm sure there's a similar method to just share a whole folder in there.

So, not sure if others have tried this already, but I thought I'd share this with the users here. I'm sure there's some security concerns out there, but the program should limit sharing to only the files you select. There's probably a dozen alternatives to Dropbox as well, but I like the free-ness, and that my file system treats it as a regular Windows folder.

Just to confirm this works, here's a DB sequence link as an example, which I also updated after creating the URL:

https://www.dropbox....ker Dubstep.lms

Steps to use LOR default folder on Dropbox (DB):

1. Make a backup of your current default LOR user folder, in case something goes wrong.
  2. Install Dropbox and create an account. You can use this link to get us both bonus storage: https://www.dropbox..../NTI3Mzk2MzA4OQ ;)
  3. Open your DB folder and copy your current Light-o-Rama user folder inside. (Only do this step on your most up to date computer, you don't want to copy older sequences over new ones.)
  4. Re-run the LOR initial setup wizard. On my laptop the path is: C:\Program Files(x86)\Light-o-Rama\LORPost.exe.
  5. Choose the default folder to be the one you copied inside of Dropbox.
  6. Repeat on each computer.

Now when you edit a sequence on one of your systems and press save, DB runs in the background and pushes the changes all other computers. It has the added benefit of backing up everything to your cloud drive. Now if your entire house burns down, your sequences will still be safe on the interwebs. This also works for shows, schedules, visualizer, etc. You can go into DB options to

Note: You may have to re-point your sequences to the correct audio files, background images, etc., if you move those into Dropbox as well. Some elements in LOR use absolute paths, and may have to be altered when you move between PCs. Make local backups occasionally, in case you accidentally push something bad to the cloud.

Happy Sequencing!

There is even an easier way in my opinion.

Google Drive:

https://docs.google....jRNa1oyVzA/edit

There is some there and you can upload the ones you got.

I haven't messed around much with Google Drive. Does the filesystem see it as a regular folder? In other words, can you point Light-o-Rama to it, and have it sync your documents automatically, without having to manually drag files into the cloud drive?

• 10 months later...

Want to re-iterate this, after seeing all the "Send me a copy, here's my email" posts.

There's also a few new cloud services to choose from, while I still think Dropbox works the best for LOR needs, especially for sharing sequences.

Bitcasa lets you select existing folder on your computer to sync, so you don't have to re-run the LOR setup as described above.

Want to re-iterate this, after seeing all the "Send me a copy, here's my email" posts.

There's also a few new cloud services to choose from, while I still think Dropbox works the best for LOR needs, especially for sharing sequences.

Bitcasa lets you select existing folder on your computer to sync, so you don't have to re-run the LOR setup as described above.

for most "Send me a copy, here's my email" works fine if you are wanting one or two sequences.  Not everyone has Google Drive or Dropbox set up.  Have used Dropbox and consider it cumbersome to use, it does the job but I would think there are easier ways to do things.

for most "Send me a copy, here's my email" works fine if you are wanting one or two sequences.  Not everyone has Google Drive or Dropbox set up.  Have used Dropbox and consider it cumbersome to use, it does the job but I would think there are easier ways to do things.

Just to clarify, you don't need Dropbox to download a sequence. Only the person sharing needs Dropbox. Creating a link is as simple as right-clicking the sequence in your folder and choosing "get link". Your post can then have one link, and everyone clicks that link without needing requests and emails. Plus, if your LOR folder is in Dropbox, anytime you update your sequence, people who click the link will get your latest updates.

It's really just a few steps to get running, and the up-front time pays off quickly in my opinion. Besides the sharing example I gave above, I can update a sequence from my work computer, and the moment I hit "save", it's ready to play on my show computer at home.

Alternatives include a network share, but the advantage of Dropbox is that it keeps local copies of everything on your drives. If you loose network connectivity, you can still use the local copy. You can also access your Dropbox from any browser, without the need to install software on the machine you're using. You can use another file-sharing site, but then you don't get the syncing or any automation. (You have to manually upload new versions, one at a time, and get new links.)

If you want to reduce the data-syncing, you can specify which folders to sync, per machine, in the Dropbox options. (If you don't want all your mobile photo's getting synced to your show computer, for example.)

Edited by Rapajez

I might get this Dropbox. I'm sick of swapping files from my main computer to my show machine. I never remember if I update the correct song. Thanks for taking the time and effort to write up this how to as well!