Light-O-Rama Forums

CAT5 Cable Port Occupied

Guest guest

Hi Justin,

LOR does not use the Ethernet interface on your PC. Attempting to connect LOR to that port could potentially damage things.

Rather, LOR is connected to the serial port ( a 9 pin male connection) on your PC. The LOR starter kit contains the converter that mates from that 9 pin connection to the Cat 5 cables (RJ45) connection. If your PC does not have a serial port then you will need a USB/Serial adapter or you can wait until the spring and use the new direct connect USB/LOR adapter.

I believe a serial card will work once it is setup properly... you might want to confirm that with Dan just to be certain...
I DOUBT you have run out of USB ports... (you can have several devices on each one) you just need a hub!:happytree:

smarts53 wrote:

What if all of your usb ports are used and your serial port "kicked the bucket." Would a usb or serial card work? What would you reccomend: usb or serial?

If you are using the LOR SC485 then I would get a serial port. That would be the best for today.

You can also get a USB hub if you end up with more USB needs.

I'll toss in here, that if you need a USB to Serial adapter to use with LOR, buy it from Dan. Not all of the adapters work properly (as I learned) and it's so much easier to buy one from Dan which he has tested and knows works well.