Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help with EDM transmitter RDS settings

tonyski

Greetings all,

I have an EDM transmitter with the RDS feature. The radio works great but I can't get the RDS feature to work.

I have the minirds software and a serial card installed in my computer for the serial to USB communications.

I have tried the settings in the EDM instructions but must be missing something.

Could someone please post some detailed instructions about what needs to be set and what doesn't

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks Phil. I did see that doc and I'm trying to get what I need from it. I'm not trying to send info for each song in my show, I'm just trying to show the station ID as "CITG" and have a scrolling text message. I made some changes and I'll test it in the morning. If it works, I'll post the settings I used.

Tony

I think the Station ID is on the first tab " Program", the field labled Default PS. Not at my home box right now but I'll check tonight.

Not sure how many characters the ID supports so to get a longer message you may have to send a text file from the batch file run by the shell command. You could do this just once using the first sequence of the show be it animation or musical.

Make sure you have a separate serial port assigned for the RDS. It's NOT the same com port that LOR uses. It also needs to be a true serial port that supports bi-directional data. USB to serial adaptors are not recommended and may be problematic.

If MiniRDS is connecting to the EDM there should be a yellow "heartbeat" LED flashing at about 1 Hz inside the EDM enclosure. If you peek in the case openings you can see it.

I left for work really early today and forgot to check to see if my changes fixed the problem. I'll report back later.

I assume I must hit send from each tab that I change something on and send before I disconnect the cable. Correct?

Yep, Send is supposed to sent the changed text to the radio and Store is supposed to store the data on the radio so you can remove the cable if you don't want to send anymore data.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem Solved!!!

In minirds on the system tab there is a button called Carrier: "Switch On". I must have hit the "Switch Off" button as I was fumbling around.

Anyway, all is well. Thanks everyone!

• The topic was locked