Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone know what this is called?

abbi2001

I would like to make a few of these, but I don't know if there is a name for them already that I'm not aware of, and if not, I'm thinking about using PVC for the stand, but not sure what to use for the branches.

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/7'-LED-Twinkle-Ice-Tree,-800-Cool-White-Lights-Outdoor-Christmas-Trees--21973--559.htm

I would like to make a few of these, but I don't know if there is a name for them already that I'm not aware of, and if not, I'm thinking about using PVC for the stand, but not sure what to use for the branches.

http://www.christmas...-21973--559.htm

I would either use coat hanger wires or go to Lowe's and get a spool of some kind of flexible large guage wire (not copper, people will steal these out of your yard). Use hose clamps to strap the wire to the PVC. Slide the PVC over rebar.

For the branches, I would seek out something like this:

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/coldfin2.phtml?page=round&LimAcc=%20&aident=

Keep in mind that while the lights really don't weight much, they will still put a lot of stress on the branch and where it attaches. Figure in wind load and snow accumulations as well (not that it would hold a ton of snow). If it were me, I would start at the 1/4" inch and go up from there depending on amount of lights, length, etc.

As for the trunk, a steel pipe would be a little more robust. PVC may not handle the weight and wind loads well. YMMV

Wish you were closer, I could weld you up a few of these. I have two real 9' maple trees in my yard and two "Iron Maple" trees interspersed with them to make a row of 4 trees. If it wasn't for the 1/2" round bar stock trunk, you might not even realize at a glance they were not real trees. For the branches I used 1/4" mild steel round bar, and 1/2" mild steel for the trunk. For support I used 1/2" rebar bent up to look like a knurled root base. The key to making this blend in to your display and look like real trees is to mimic the way tree branches grow. Bend the bar stock with shallow angle bends that are not all in the same direction. Make the branches different lengths, and don't forget to add Y's and small twigs on the tree. Even if they are not lit, add them anyway. A well built tree makes your display look better in the daytime as well as night.

I'll post a photo of my tree in a bit when I get a chance to get outside. I've been making steel plants trees and bushes for years in my garden art, so if you have questions, just ask. If you want to see my handy work, go to Pikadroo's Facebook site. I made his new talking wire frames, they are called Fa La La La Bulbs. They are all hand formed, no bending jigs, just formed bend by bend between two parallel bars

Here's a link to the only photo I could take that had sky in the background so you could see how it's put together. This one is pretty basic, it only needed to hold 100 lights. I didn't go crazy on lights for these, I wanted people to see through them to the elements behind. The branches are basically just there to hold up the strands of lights and imitate how they would drape on a real tree. Next year I will add more lights to these frames. Oh, and don't forget to guy wire the tops, mild steel becomes more flexible with longer lengths. A few pieces of twine will keep it from falling or blowing over.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B391FEB1972280F0!123&authkey=!AM_04UzSPoVDZn4

Oh, and I've always called them "Twig Trees." Although "Iron Maple" has a better ring to it.

-RainyOregonChristmas

Here's a link to the only photo I could take that had sky in the background so you could see how it's put together. This one is pretty basic, it only needed to hold 100 lights. I didn't go crazy on lights for these, I wanted people to see through them to the elements behind. The branches are basically just there to hold up the strands of lights and imitate how they would drape on a real tree. Next year I will add more lights to these frames. Oh, and don't forget to guy wire the tops, mild steel becomes more flexible with longer lengths. A few pieces of twine will keep it from falling or blowing over.

https://skydrive.liv...AM_04UzSPoVDZn4

Oh, and I've always called them "Twig Trees." Although "Iron Maple" has a better ring to it.

-RainyOregonChristmas

Wish you were closer, I could weld you up a few of these. I have two real 9' maple trees in my yard and two "Iron Maple" trees interspersed with them to make a row of 4 trees. If it wasn't for the 1/2" round bar stock trunk, you might not even realize at a glance they were not real trees. For the branches I used 1/4" mild steel round bar, and 1/2" mild steel for the trunk. For support I used 1/2" rebar bent up to look like a knurled root base. The key to making this blend in to your display and look like real trees is to mimic the way tree branches grow. Bend the bar stock with shallow angle bends that are not all in the same direction. Make the branches different lengths, and don't forget to add Y's and small twigs on the tree. Even if they are not lit, add them anyway. A well built tree makes your display look better in the daytime as well as night.

I'll post a photo of my tree in a bit when I get a chance to get outside. I've been making steel plants trees and bushes for years in my garden art, so if you have questions, just ask. If you want to see my handy work, go to Pikadroo's Facebook site. I made his new talking wire frames, they are called Fa La La La Bulbs. They are all hand formed, no bending jigs, just formed bend by bend between two parallel bars

We live by steel mills, perhaps we need to become friends with a welder LOL :) Will pass the info on to hubby. Won't be doing it this year, as we are making a mad dash to get the lights done in the first place. We weren't planning on putting any up since our house is for sale, but we decided that we wanted to go out with a bang and hopefully get 1st place in the city's lighting contest. We've been in it the last 3 years, won 3rd the first, and 2nd each consecutive year. This year is OUR year! :)

• The topic was locked