Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter Static and Antenna Setup

Theyork5

First year LOR setup and I am using the whole house FM transmitter instead of outside speakers. I am running my show using the MP3 show time director which has its own case that also houses the FM transmitter. This box is mounted with in 3 feet of one of my controllers. I have installed the antenna extension and have this mounted vertica,l secured to my gutter downspout. Range is ok for what I need but I am getting static on reception even directly in front of my house which is only 75 feet away. Is this just what I should expect from this whole house device (read the forums after purchasing it) or have I done something wrong? Very little documentation with the device and nothing about mounting the antenna. Am I getting interference? Should it not be mounted on the aluminum gutter?

It could be your external antenna. If your length is wrong you could be de-turning the transmitter. Take a look at the web page and calculate your proper antenna length.

http://www.solidremote.com/support/rf-module-external-antenna-design/

I use 93.7 so my length is 31.51". You should also have a good ground plane. Its tough to do with that unit, but without a good antenna - you don't have a transmitter.

Thanks for the quick response. I did not adjust the antenna length at all. When I calculate do I use the entire length from the transmitter or just the exposed length. I am on 105.9 and was afraid to cut it in the event I have to change channels in the future but will definitely take a look.

27.88". Total wire length. Then place the transmitter on a large nfe metal sheet and attach to the ground cover. Point the wire perpendicular to the ground plan (nfe metal base).

there is also a switch in the back that ups the power,I believe it's under a cover.I don't own one so only info is what I have read