Light-O-Rama Forums

Rain and snow today, now some lights are on constantly

ststock23

Third night of running my first show. First two nights were flawless. Today we had some rain and snow, not much. Tonight I have some led's which are staying on dimly during the show. It seems to be increasing as the night goes on. What do I need to do?

Only time I have ever had that happen was when I was putting up lights in the rain and my controller was not on a GFCI circuit.

Not saying that this is the case, but in my case in my first year and first week. I was dumb and in a hurry. And as an electrician I should have known better. I was careful and used SPT wire to daisy chain the power to all of my 4 controllers. Now mind you that I am running LEDs so the 18 ga wire was more than enough for the small current draw. Well I installed a dog gone non-polorized plug on the first cable that went to the outlet. This caused the hot to appear on the neutral and the neutral to appear at the fuses. If you can take a volt meter and set for 120VAC. Take one lead and jam it into the ground and take the other lead and touch it onto the fuse. If you read more than a few volts, say above 10 volts then more than likely you have your leads swapped and this is the cause.

Mine were about 10% and then it rained well and I would say it was about 50%. Thats when I realized that my leads where reversed.

I had similar behavior on a couple of strands last year. Those strands didn't have polarized plugs on them. Rotating their plugs in their associated outlet / extension cord solved the problem for me.

Also. i never saw it, but I got a text one day that my lights were on while it was raining. I told them to just go ahead and unplug the controller. When I got home, I opened up the controller and water had gotten in it. (it wasn't completely closed). Check your controllers for water also. If they do unplug them, use a towel and hair dryer and dry them off. Once they are all dry they should work fine.