Light-O-Rama Forums

GFCI Plug in

csimmon5

That should work for anything plugged in downstream from the device. Be advised that some (or even most) of those GFCI adapters automatically trip and need to be reset if the receptacle they're plugged into loses power.

That'll work for you. George is only pointing out that if you cut the power(as in turn off the circuit breaker, trip the circuit breaker, or unplug that adapter) you'll have to press the reset button on it.

I have two of them I've used in various situations... they work good.

That'll work for you. George is only pointing out that if you cut the power(as in turn off the circuit breaker, trip the circuit breaker, or unplug that adapter) you'll have to press the reset button on it.

I have two of them I've used in various situations... they work good.

What I needed to hear...Thank you guys for your help and input.

Those will work just fine. +1 on what George said about the power off trip. Just for clarification's sake... be sure to put them in at the power outlet and not at the controller(s) on the display.

I wouldn't get it unless you don't know how to change out an outlet and you have a 15 amp receptacle. You can get a 20A GFCI around my parts for about $12

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-devices/outlets/15a-gfci-w-trip-indicator-light/p-1401008-c-9526.htm

I have my lights plugged into non GFCI outlets on purpose because in years past any moisture would trip them. I have two available on my deck and porch should they be used strictly for personal safety or do I risk damage to my controllers without them? I don't intend to go play with my lights in the rain but don't want to damage my controllers.

What i found if you jump up to a 20 amp circuit some of the sensitivity is reduced. Also I don't have any concrete evidence on this but I think as the GFCI age they get more sensitive.

Hard wired GFCI keep state in a power outage. By design, temporary ones do not. Reason being, what happens if it comes partly unplugged, and neutral connection breaks? The GFCI would no longer be able to sense a fault or protect the user.

I have my lights plugged into non GFCI outlets on purpose because in years past any moisture would trip them. I have two available on my deck and porch should they be used strictly for personal safety or do I risk damage to my controllers without them? I don't intend to go play with my lights in the rain but don't want to damage my controllers.

This idea would surprise anyone in the yard playing with the lights during a a moist night or rain wouldnt it. Not a good idea my man. Get a GFCI on those lights and find out why they are tripping. Somewhere power is getting to the ground and thats what needs to be solved. My lights ran rain or shine last year not a single GFCI fault. If you are using metal stakes, tomatoe cages, or metal wrapped anything there is some phantom power getting into these. A quick change to plastic or isolating the powered lines from the metal rods should clear you of this. If it does not you have a larger issue.

I think it was TJ that had this happen on his tomatoe cages. No bad lines but current was getting onto the cages and grounding so the GFCI tripped. Was it TJ?

It isn't a question of damage to the controllers; this is a life safety issue. For you or anyone else that finds themselves around your display. In addition, it is a financial protection issue. Imagine the expense you'd potentially face if someone were to get killed in your display power.

With all due respect, I would strongly encourage you to put your display on GFCI protection and seek to remedy the issue(s) causing the faults. GFCI devices are cheap, and if they do their job just once they have paid for themselves a thousand times over.

I am (we are) here to help you sort the problems. Let us know what you are dealing with and we'll point you in the right direction. I would hate to hear of something bad happening for lack of protection.

Also I don't have any concrete evidence on this but I think as the GFCI age they get more sensitive.

A function of repeated trip cycles. The internals start to become weak over time, therfore they can seem to be more apt to trip.

I know I will be labled a bully for saying this and I dont care anymore but you need to have anything outside GFCI PROTECTED

AS PER THE NEC AND for SAFETY I can't stress this enough you must gfci protect everything I get issues as well with items tripping at the beginning of my lighting season until I get them corrected but I would rather have that than have objects live with power out in my yard that becomes an instant bug Human zapper

A couple weeks back i bought six of these from HD ($12.97 + tax) and i have my mr. christmas, lights and elements plugged into them. i'm running power from three different outlets in the house. It might be over kill but i figure i stop the problem at the outlet rather it going to the breaker panel. Yesterday my Mr. christmas kept shutting down and i had to reset it a couple times. I think i was over loading it so i moved some stuff around and it's working fine now. i'm going to break out the good o' kill a watt meter tomorrow and check the loads on all six channels. man, i can't wait untill next year and get my LOR 32 channel system going :) . That mr. christmas 1400 watts (240 watt 2amp per channel) capasity is no fun. :(

come to think about it my gardener cut my glass yesterday, he might of damaged one of extention cords and that might be the reason the GFCI my MR.C. is plugged into is tripping. It had been running fine since friday night until yesterday. Dang now i have to check 1,000+ feet of spt-1 cable/ extention cords i have running in my front yard. :angry:

Edited by Mike C.

I think it was TJ that had this happen on his tomatoe cages. No bad lines but current was getting onto the cages and grounding so the GFCI tripped. Was it TJ?

Exactly that.. my metal-framed tomato cages were leaking to ground.. not all of them, just two or three, but still more than enough imbalance to trip the GFI. I raised the metal frame off the ground, onto some plywood planks, once off the ground, the tripping stopped.

They prevent what Jerry Lee sang about. "a whole lotta shakin' goin' on" :lol:

Got everything powered through GFCI now. We'll see how show goes tonight...now all i need to do is elevate plugs before we get rain