Light-O-Rama Forums

Really?

paralegalnc

so last night I posted videos via links to vimeo. shows 34 views but not a single comment. Really?? I have read almost every post on here for the past 6 months and I know you folks have opinions on EVERYTHING... is it that bad? no comments? no tips? no suggestions?

I wouldn't expect all the many comments on this forum right now. Most people are setting up their shows and figuring out why 12 of the 16 channels on their mega tree aren't working. :)

Where's the link?

Must have missed them.

it's under "video"...there are 5 links... granted the audio leaves much to be desired... best we could do at the moment using the computer...gunna get a better video... plus 700 lights on the roof aren't showing up...that one has me puzzled... how do 700 lights just not show up... I just wanted general opinions as it's my first show.

<p>

Where's the link?

Must have missed them.

heck I cant load them now...go back in the forum and look for "video"

Edited by paralegalnc

it's under "video"...there are 5 links... granted the audio leaves much to be desired... best we could do at the moment using the computer...gunna get a better video... plus 700 lights on the roof aren't showing up...that one has me puzzled... how do 700 lights just not show up... I just wanted general opinions as it's my first show.

Are the 700 lights LED? I had a weird situation last year with my video and the house LED's appearing to go on and off in the video when in reality they were on full time.

the video makes it very difficult to see. Like you said some lights don't seem to show up well and the audio seems to be off. hard to give any opinions. looks like you have alot of room to grow. Doesn't seem like 17,000 lights but I know it could be, I have 20,000 and it stills looks plain.

On a better note: the setup looks nice. like the guitar.

Overall I'd say you did a good job for your first year.

thanks for helping me out with that link :) had to get my son to teach me how to download music to my ipod. It actually 18,135 lights. there are 8000 in the tree so that eats up alot of them... 700 on the roof and yes they are LED c9s at that! 150 in the star on the chimney... each rope has 144 lights and there are 5 green for the edging and 3 per arch... 1000 lights in each regular tree (the blue/white and purple/white) 1000 on the windows, 1000 on the bushes... the guitar was the idea of mine...sorta... I said "hey, I need a guitar" my husband designed it... then my son in law said...how cool would it be if it looked like this.... and there ya have it. Collaberation is awesome. I will get better videos... I know the timing is spot on (music major :) ) I told my husband he needs to fix it. He said something about saving the videos with the sound level different ...I don't know. I have a guy that videos our depositions and he said he'd video them for me. I know I still have room to grow... still got lots to learn! but not bad for first year?

Looks like you're doing great so far... Can't wait to see the upgraded videos when your deposition guy comes through for you.

Keep it up!

D.T.

You asked for suggestions.....In my opinion no sequenced song should be over 3 minutes. Use Audacity to shorten them. We have very short attention spans and children's are even shorter. It seems most cars at my display have children in them. My idea is to have short 2-3 minutes version of my sequenced songs and only have 5 or 6 in my show. This way people can pull up, see every song and never get bored. I also am not a fan of slow songs.

Like I said, my opinion. Others will have a different one.

You are also way ahead of where I was my first year. As long as you are having fun, that is really all that matters.

You asked for suggestions.....In my opinion no sequenced song should be over 3 minutes. Use Audacity to shorten them. We have very short attention spans and children's are even shorter. It seems most cars at my display have children in them. My idea is to have short 2-3 minutes version of my sequenced songs and only have 5 or 6 in my show. This way people can pull up, see every song and never get bored. I also am not a fan of slow songs.

You are also way ahead of where I was my first year. As long as you are having fun, that is really all that matters.

I second the "no slow songs"....learned this my first year. I had 1 slow song in there and noticed that was when cars would drive off. Ended up taking it out and haven't added one since.

I started using Audacity with my after Christmas show...just found out about it. I would agree with you on most slow songs and I did try to stay away from them... but I wanted something to be "pretty" and not just flashing...that's why the tree does alot..and the roof...that's the problem, can't see the roof!!! But with this version of "O Holy Night"... people are actually loving it. now Silent night... probably stay clear of... I am having fun... I listen to songs... and if they don't "speak" to me... I won't do them. I'm funny that way...even when I perform (I sing) I can't just do it. so if you said "sequence Jingle bell rock" if I don't feel it... I can't do it. But... I'm still learning. And I will take all the advice into next year. I do have "Let there be Peace" in my after Christmas show...but that's not "slow" and Kenny G's Auld Lang Syne but that's supposed to be slow... too late to change it now.. :)

Most folks won't leave comments on Vimeo, I have my videos from previous years there as well. Most of the folks on these "animated Lightshow forums will comment about your videos here and not on the vimeo site. At least that has been my experience with them. So if there aren't any comments on any of your vids on vimeo, don't worry about it, they're being watched and the comments will come soon enough.

Like others have stated this time of year everyone is usually very busy setting up, tweaking, testing and making sure everything is working to their satisfaction in their displays.

But you;re off to a great start.

BTW: I also use a slow song in my display, Still Nacht, the German sang version of Silent Night. I just like the sound of it over the English version and it isn't all that bad or really that slow, but slower than the majority of my other songs.

I think you did a good job on sequencing ( please note I didn't say for the 1st year). I'm no expert on videoing light displays (by far!!!) but I have some suggestions that might help.

Watching the cars drive by, your shutter speed (f stop) is slow (headlights leave "lines" as they drive by). This is going to effect your exposure (aperture) setting. I'm thinking your mega tree is so bright it is overwhelming the camera. Try turning on the roof lights only, manually setting the camera so you can see roof lights, then try videoing a song.

Not knowing what operating system you are using, you can use windows movie maker (XP) or windows live movie maker (win 7) to edit and add music. By advancing the video 1 frame at a time and using your sequence you can get an exact time where to insert the music. Also, make sure you turn the video music off or you will get all the background noise from the video.

I have never been able to get my videos to even come close to impact of the live show. This is an example of the best I can do, so you may not want to take my suggestions too seriously :)

I think you did a good job on sequencing ( please note I didn't say for the 1st year). I'm no expert on videoing light displays (by far!!!) but I have some suggestions that might help.

Watching the cars drive by, your shutter speed (f stop) is slow (headlights leave "lines" as they drive by). This is going to effect your exposure (aperture) setting. I'm thinking your mega tree is so bright it is overwhelming the camera. Try turning on the roof lights only, manually setting the camera so you can see roof lights, then try videoing a song.

Not knowing what operating system you are using, you can use windows movie maker (XP) or windows live movie maker (win 7) to edit and add music. By advancing the video 1 frame at a time and using your sequence you can get an exact time where to insert the music. Also, make sure you turn the video music off or you will get all the background noise from the video.

I have never been able to get my videos to even come close to impact of the live show. This is an example of the best I can do, so you may not want to take my suggestions too seriously :)

https://vimeo.com/54144623

I will let my husband know.. that was all chinese to me. :) I'm the creative one in this operation. He's the technical one.

I just saw this post and your videos this morning. Cool. Looks good. No worries about the cars driving by as it happens to all of us. I'm learning too and lots of ideas already for next year. I enjoy watching other's videos as it gives me insight into their ideas and how I can change, improve, modify and so on, mine.