Light-O-Rama Forums

searching networks

Ralph D

why does it takes close to 5 mins for lor to find my 12 controllers? seems to me it use to find them a lot faster in past years. am i missing somthing

What do you have Max Unit ID set to in the Hardware Utility? If you have it at F0, then it's going to search all possible ID's for a controller.

Try lowering it a bit.

I only have 5 controllers and I did what the manual recommended, set the HWU 1 controller higher than what you have, so I have my HWU set to 6 controllers and it finds the 5 really fast.

You having only 12 controllers, HWU should be set to 13 {in HWU this would be 0D}, so if you have it set to decimal 12. that would actually have it lookng for 18 controllers, 6 more than you actually have. Which could have it trying to look and see if those additional 6 are there, spending more time polling to see if those controllers are actually there or not.

So like Don said, check the Hardware Utility and lower the number of controllers to what you have or just one above that number, and it should find you controllers much more quickly.

lol yup. i knew it was something i was over looking thank you. 10 sec's and done. now im testing out all my lor boxes. and leaving them on a while while im working outside. system seems to shut down after a while. is that something new. so i have to keep going into the house and click on each unit and hit on at 100 % every hour or so?

it happened 2 more times since my last post. is there a reason for this? out side working on the display and pow. lor goes off and when i come to my pc and take my mouse and go over the lor hard wear u thing my mouse starts to do the spinning thing. so i have to shut it down and re open the hardware u thing.

Loss of communication can do this. Do you have any power saving options turned on? I know that the usb port has the option for powering down. Any sleep or hibernate options turned on?

Hey max and everyone, sorry its been nuts. as well all are now. Here is what i think was happening and someone with some electronics background might want to add your thoughts to this. because im guessing at this point. i was putting all my lor boxes on steady through the hardware configuration utility screen. Once I had all my boxes on I went outside. I then and started checking all my lights, I was working on my Christmas on Manhattan centerpiece which is a 10 foot tall by 15 foot wide wire arch. I notice I had some lights that were out and couldn't track down the correct one that was blowing them all. So I pulled out my little blue box my light tester model SF 102, you guys know this box you press the red button and it makes the bad lights ark, making noise so you can more easily find your bad bulbs. Well I noticed every time I press the red button for more than a second or two it must this in some kind of reverse single back to my computer through the cat five cables and made Lor's hardware configuration utility screen go berserk. So that was the problem I was trying to find what lights were bad, every time I press the little red button on my leg tester box for more than a second or two it was sending some kind signal back through the yellow are boxes to my computer freaking out the hardware config screen. Then when I came back to the computer put my mouse anywhere over the hardware configuration screen I was not able to control it I get that circle going around my mousing it's waiting for something to happen. So it have to close the screen reopening again and everything was controllable. My bigger concern at this point, and why making such a big point of this is I want to ask anybody with electronics background, or any of the light O Rama staff, is there a chance I could have damaged any of my M a boards. Because now that I'm thinking about it obviously was sending some kind of signal back to the computer which means it had to go through all the boxes to get back to the computer. So after realizing what I was doing I disconnect it whatever I was working on from yellow are and worked on it straight from a direct power line anything happen again. So Max Paul you're right, this light fixture was sending some kind of feedback and the boxes were losing their communication to the computer. I just want to make sure that I could not have damaged my LLR boxes and boards in anyway.

And the other side of it is, I'm sure I'm not the first person who's done something like this and more make sure that no one in the future does this of this could have a bad ending for a lor board.

Edited by Ralph D