Light-O-Rama Forums

Grinch stole my donation Box

huskernut

Got up this morning for my daily 6 am walk to find my donation box, in this case a 6 foot tall PVC candy cane, had been ripped from the ground and stolen.

No chance to replace it this year so the organizations we support are the losers.

Will have to make it more secure next year.

Talk to the police and maybe mention it to the company that does garbage removal to keep an eye out for it. Should be pretty obvious when they try to get rid of it.

It sucks when somebody messes with your hard work.

I had someone mess with my border lights, I suspect due to a Romney/Ryan sign that my neighbor and I shared. It took some of the joy out of me for wanting to light up this year and a big part of being rather grumpy about next year if you read one of my recent threads. This wasn't mentioned in it.

Why do people have to do stupid things like this? We try and do a good thing and some people always have to ruin it for others. Dont be discouraged. I use a saw horse with a plastic mailbox attached to it. I cut a slot to put money in and added a lock. Pretty cheap to do and easy to move from end of driveway. But if they are going to steal it there really isnt much we can do except post that these premises are under video surveilance. but then that might offend some people. If it leads to this i would post a note or add a commercial stating why the premises is under video surveilance. Most would understand and you never know might get a public outcry and get more donations towards your charity.

As mentioned above do let police know and maybe post it in your local newspaper. This way those that did donate are aware of what happened and your not getting blamed for keeping the money and not donating it. Hate to say it but people always think the worse before asking questions. I would hate for that to happen. And besides this way the whole community can be on the lookout for your donation box. The more keeping eyes out the better.

Funny thing, we can fix a bad light string, we fix a broken display element but alas .. We Can't Fix Stupid ...

I agree with the others, make the theft known and don't let it ruin your hoilday. I know the first thing I do every morning is look outside... We got a write up in a local magazine and I keep hearing in my mind the line from the Don Knotts movie "The Incredible Mr. Limpett" ..... Careful what you wish...

Bob

In my area, when things like that happen, its is best to go to the local news channels and explain what happened. This happens routinely, with stolen ipads for special needs children, stolen vans for handicapped people, things like that where there are disadvantaged in need. What happens in our area, at least, is that you get attention and people especially in this time of year react with charity. Groups often end up with much more than what was lost. I can just imagine a investigative reporter starting off the 10 o'clock news with a full Christmas display behind them, and then the empty dirt hole.

What could happen? Well, you might get more donations, those that gave will know what happened, and maybe even some local company will donate to you a more secure style of donation box.

Its worth a try.

Thanks for the words. I surprise even myself with how calm I have been about this all day. Just got done setting up my virtual Santa. I feel OK. I did file a police report. This is a town of about 20,000. I am getting the word out, I really think it will turn up somewhere.

Happy Holidays

That's my fear. We made a simple box on a pole, but I figure at some time, someone is going to steal it or the money from it. That's why it's not that expensive.

Funny thing, we can fix a bad light string, we fix a broken display element but alas .. We Can't Fix Stupid ...

I agree with the others, make the theft known and don't let it ruin your hoilday. I know the first thing I do every morning is look outside... We got a write up in a local magazine and I keep hearing in my mind the line from the Don Knotts movie "The Incredible Mr. Limpett" ..... Careful what you wish...

Bob

I think we can fix stupid, but the liberals won't let us. ;)

Anyway. One of the previous posters said it, "the charities are the real losers".

• The topic was locked