Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 connection 2 questions

thevikester

One of the two cat 5 connections has been pulled away from the board a bit...and when I push it back into its place...it doesn't work...so 2 questions...how does one fix this...and two...given there is a phone line connection next to it...can you use both protocol...one cat 5 and one phone line to daisy chain with? Normally I would just move this controller to the end...but I already have another controller with the same problem so that is the controller on the end....so I have to daisy chain this controller...any help would be appreciated!

You can mix phone cables and cat5 cables. Just keep in mind that on most, if not all controllers, the phone jack is for incoming signals only.

You can mix phone cables and cat5 cables. Just keep in mind that on most, if not all controllers, the phone jack is for incoming signals only.

Roger that George! Thank you!

George...as I'm thinking about this..it can't be just incoming...if it leaves controller 5, thats outgoing to controller 6, which is incoming...so how does that work??

Roger that George! Thank you!

George...as I'm thinking about this..it can't be just incoming...if it leaves controller 5, thats outgoing to controller 6, which is incoming...so how does that work??

The phone line LEAVES from a functioning cat5 connection, and ENTERS the phone connection. Essentially any controller that has a broken/dislodged cat5 connection has to receive a phone line in. It can send out either phone or cat5 from the one working cat5 connection on the broken controller. The one case where this does not hold true is the last controller in the line. It can receive IN a cat5 cable even if it has a broken connection, because you do not have to send anything outgoing (that's what you already knew, since you put your first broken controller on the end already). I have 10 of my 80 controllers with broken connections, and have phone/cat5 throughout the yard this way.

To fix them, you have to send them in to LOR for repair, or for those skilled in soldering/replacing pieces like this I believe LOR has sent out replacement parts in the past.

Good luck!

How far are you from Tampa/Spring Hill. If its a matter of soldering them back in place Id happily help out with that. You just gotta get them to me.

Now I'm really confused...how does a phone line leave a functioning cat 5 connection?? Different sizes?? I'm going to draw this out so I can understand it..computer has cat 5 coming out to controller number one which has ONE Cat 5 connection that is good...so my input is into the CAT 5...can i take a phone cord and run it OUT of Controller one to Controller 2 in the phone jack?? Or does it have to come out of the phone jack and into a CAT 5 port on controller 2? Thanks for all your help on this!

Now I'm really confused...how does a phone line leave a functioning cat 5 connection?? Different sizes?? If you look closely, you'll see that the two jacks on the right will accept either a phone cable or a cat5. If using a phone cable make sure you get it in place straight. It's not always easy to do - you've gotta be careful. They work, but phone cables aren't nearly as stable as cat5 in those jacks I'm going to draw this out so I can understand it..computer has cat 5 coming out to controller number one which has ONE Cat 5 connection that is good That means the cable leaving the PC has to be a phone cable from the USB285...so my input is into the CAT 5...No, it would go into the phone jack on the left can i take a phone cord and run it OUT of Controller one to Controller 2 in the phone jack?? Whichever type of cable you want to use, it must come out of controller 1 in the functioning one of the two jacks on the right. Or does it have to come out of the phone jack and into a CAT 5 port on controller 2? Whatever cable you run out from controller 1 can go into any hole it will fit on controller 2. Thanks for all your help on this! You're welcome. I hope it actually IS help.

Edited by George Simmons

Thank you for drawing it out clear for me George! Goofy...I'm about 90 miles...but I really appreciate the offer...if the offer still stands after the holidays...I would glad ly bring them to you....

Question...I had the #1 Cat 5 Cable connector (the one on the left - not the phone line) come undone tonight. Its in Box #2 of 7 for me. Can I move this #2 box to the end of my string of 7 boxes (make it box #7) and put my ending cat5 cable into slot #2 on this box, since there will not be an outgoing cat5 cable? And it still work and read this box?

I had the same exact thing happen to me and I spoke to LOR support. They recommended putting it at the end of the network (the last controller in your network) which I did and everything worked fine. Good luck.

Question...I had the #1 Cat 5 Cable connector (the one on the left - not the phone line) come undone tonight. Its in Box #2 of 7 for me. Can I move this #2 box to the end of my string of 7 boxes (make it box #7) and put my ending cat5 cable into slot #2 on this box, since there will not be an outgoing cat5 cable? And it still work and read this box?

Yes...that is the first and most effective fix...if you only have 1 bad one...move it to the last controller number...