Light-O-Rama Forums

First night of the show, first neighbor complaint

Jim Hans

I just moved here to Texas so my show is new to my neighbors. Tonight was my first night, show ran great BUT my across the street neighbor came over to complain. She explained that she has two young kids that go to bed at 8 so I should turn them off then so they don't shine in their room.

I explained that my lights run until 10 on Friday and Saturday and until 9 on other nights, I apologized if I upset her but would not turn them off every night at 8. I guess this may be a long season!

The world revolves around some kids. Glad you are sticking to the schedule. I have a new neighbor too. They saw the show last christmas and moved into the house across the street after seeing the show and told me their old neighborhood had no spirit. He asked me a few days ago how late it runs and I told him 1 or 2am sometimes. He said all three bedrooms are on the back side so...ok no problem.

Hope you don't have a HOA where you are!

After what Kevin's {Crackers} HOA did to him and shut his show down, just takes one neighbor to go belly aching to the HOA with their sob story and get a sympathetic ear due to it's children being affected by your lights, and then the next thing you know your HOA is telling you you have to turn off the lights completely.

Sure glad I don't live in a HOA controlled neighborhood {and really hope you aren't in one}! Never, never again will I ever live in a HOA controlled development!

Edited by Orville

Wow in my parts, people put blinds on windows.

A few years ago I had a parent say people were blaring their radios loud. So I cut the gain down on my FM transmitter.

Man, do I consider myself lucky. Before we took a few years off we went around to all our neighbors telling them about the display we were going to do. They were all on-board (the plates of cookies we brought probably didn't hurt) and we asked if they had a favorite Christmas song they would like to see in the display. Never a complaint.

This year is our first year back in a while and there is one new neighbor. I'm hoping they will be equally cool...

• Like 1

I hope you can work things out with your neighbor ..

I know this is a pretty soft and generic reply.. but this is a Christmas site and I'm not ready to join the You Have Been Warned club yet ..

I think you handled it well (from what I read) and like others, I'm glad you stood your ground.

Bob

Guest Don Gillespie

some people are humbugs, your neighbor sounds like one of those humbugs, if she continues to complain you may have try the extreme niceness approach, if that fails turn all your lights on twinkle and play your music really loud, invite over a hundred kids her kids age and have them laugh and dance until the show is over every night, but seriously this can become a major problem, the sooner you get her won over the better your show will be, not to mention the stress level goes way down also.

I'm in Missouri City Texas, last Halloween was my first LOR display, I talked with my neighbors and told them music wiil be on from 7 to 10pm M-F and 6 to 11pm Sat and Sun, they actually enjoy the show, and request a better show for Xmas.

I'm glad you were firm.

I hope you can work things out with your neighbor ..

I know this is a pretty soft and generic reply.. but this is a Christmas site and I'm not ready to join the You Have Been Warned club yet ..

I think you handled it well (from what I read) and like others, I'm glad you stood your ground.

Bob

What is wrong with being warned :lol: I spoke the truth about HOA's and got the finger waved at me. lol no worry i still feel the same and would say the same if given the chance. I try to keep it pg but was in a bad mood that day. :D

Edited by Brett H.

• The topic was locked