Light-O-Rama Forums

SC485 to RJ45 Connector

Guest guest

I have DB9 to RJ45 connectors. Are they the same as the LOR SC485 to RJ45 connector or is it more than just a pin-out mapping?

BTW-

Also, since I'm in the middle of finishing my basement, I've taken the liberty of running three 20 Amp circuits to the side of my house as well as a CAT 5 Cable. My intention is to put a quad box on the outside of the house with 3 SR227 X10 modules and a female RJ45 connector. This will all be under a while in use cover behind a huge butterfly bush where all my utilities are. I figure i can plug the LOR boards into the X10 jacks (in case I want to trigger them as stand-alone) and use the Cat 5 connection running back to my office and computer to run the shows.

Is there any requirments on CAT5 cable for external use? I know my cable is rated for risers and in-wall, but I was wondering how the cables fare outdoors!

Thanks

Michael

We use cat.5 cable outside and haven't had problems with it and that's in -15 degree C weather. However, in colder weather the plastic shielding gets brittle and can break, but if you're aware of this, you treat it nicely. We've been using cat.5 outside now for about 4 years and haven't had to replace any yet.....

MichaelC wrote:

I have DB9 to RJ45 connectors. Are they the same as the LOR SC485 to RJ45 connector or is it more than just a pin-out mapping?

It's more than a pin-out mapping. There is a serial communication chip inside which converts from PC's serial protocol to LOR's serial protocol. To quote Dan "That's why they don't cost $3" :laughing:

-Tim