Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie needs help

bultmanadam

i understand that when in the hardware utility, only have one controler pulled into the computer at a time when setting controler i.d's, if not, not sure you may have to reset them. i guess i would first try plugging them in one at a time and changeing the unit i.d's to 01,02,03, etc.

i understand that when in the hardware utility, only have one controler pulled into the computer at a time when setting controler i.d's, if not, not sure you may have to reset them. i guess i would first try plugging them in one at a time and changeing the unit i.d's to 01,02,03, etc.

this is absolutely correct & important. you can only set the ID on one controller at a time thru the hardware utility.

this is absolutely correct & important. you can only set the ID on one controller at a time thru the hardware utility.

Actually you can change MULTIPLE controllers plugged into the HWU as long as they DO NOT have the same ID #. If both have an ID of 01, then if you try and reset just one, it will change both because you're telling it to change ID #01 to a different ID #. But if you bought a new controller which is set as a default of ID #00 and you have 2 controllers set as ID #01 and ID #02, even if all 3 are connected, you can change controller ID #00 to controller ID #03 in the HWU, and NOT AFFECT controllers 01 or 02 ID #'s.

That's how I do it when I want to reassign a controller ID # or add a new controller.

But no two controllers can have the same ID number, or it will change each controller with the same ID # to the SAME NEW ID #. So in that sceanario, each controller would have to be put on seperately, however once the first controller having the same ID # has been changed, you can put on the next controller that shared that same ID # and change it with both controllers connected at the same time.

So it is possible to do it in certain circumstances, just not recommended.

Edited by Orville

didnt know you could do the changes that way, always understood that you only do one at a time. i still think that one at a time will advoid any issues, IMHO. thanks for info.

Orville... the default address of new units shipped is 01.

Pretty sure the 4 CTB16PC Controllers I bought new came set as 00, not 01.