Light-O-Rama Forums

Day After Repairs

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

The day after debuting the light show... I know many things are on the list. Well, if you have a complex show.

What I need to repair on Friday is minor but major in my opinion.

1/2 set arch lights

1/2 set fan lights

more snubbers

fix Rudy's mouth - talking deer

Change some sequences

1/2 set of lights out on Castle

It seems this list continues to grow through the night.

My list is growing as the evening wears on also. Things are taking a beating here with the weather. Will make for a busy day tomorrow for sure...

Just going to take notes of what is broken and work on it next summer. Not a lot but enough to cause someone with OCD some aggravation. But I am trying to over come this OCD.

If this was the last week, I'd say pluck it and worry about it during the summer, too. But this being day 1 of 40, it would drive me bleeping crazy seeing stuff out the entire season. All was tested before deployment, so I suspect I have mostly connection issues. Have I mentioned how much I hate incans and can't wait to be rid of them forever.

Guest wbottomley

If this was the last week, I'd say pluck it and worry about it during the summer, too. But this being day 1 of 40, it would drive me bleeping crazy seeing stuff out the entire season. All was tested before deployment, so I suspect I have mostly connection issues. Have I mentioned how much I hate incans and can't wait to be rid of them forever.

George, it's scary that you and I think the same thing. I'm in full agreement with your post and did the same thing. I think my connection issues begin at the repeater. I'm rearranging the network today to find out.

Putting on a pot of coffee now and then it's out to fix a few sections that are out and a few retro C7 LED bulbs that are out.

Wasn't planning to light up last night but there was more traffic than normal going by slowly. Nice thing is the daughter came out with me and we watched the lights for at least a dozen songs... :) Awesome!

After the minor repairs, I still have our candy cane lane to put out and then I have to get all my connections off the ground... another evening with sore knees is my guess... ;)

I did not debut the light show last night, but done several test runs and found that I had about 9 channels switched around. Of the 9, 4 of them was channels 3 and 8 on 2 controllers switched around. I hate the thought that glasses may have helped or I need bigger numbers on my cords out of the controllers.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

Going out this morning to see if any damage from the freezing rain then heavy wet snow.

George, sorry didnt make it down last night. Took us over 3 hrs to make it back to Duluth/Superior. 35 was a very nasty drive.

Guest Don Gillespie

it sounds as though they are easy fixes, as long as nothing major is wrong the fixes will be done and your show will look fantastic, I might have a bad triac but will use a spare channel to overcome the issue will be checking it out this morning.

George, it's scary that you and I think the same thing. I'm in full agreement with your post and did the same thing. I think my connection issues begin at the repeater. I'm rearranging the network today to find out.

Bill - I don't know what problem specifically you're having, but here's some advice Dan gave me personally a couple of years ago regarding the repeater. He said if I had a heavy traffic load it might work better to connect the repeater a bit differently. Instead of bringing the signal into the front, bring it into one of the jacks on the back. (I don't remember exactly why he said to do it that way, but I DO remember that he bristled a little when I questioned him on it.) But bottom line is that's the way I've used it for the past couple of years and it has worked great!

Going out this morning to see if any damage from the freezing rain then heavy wet snow.

George, sorry didnt make it down last night. Took us over 3 hrs to make it back to Duluth/Superior. 35 was a very nasty drive.

It was okay around here until it got colder and we had a coating of ice settle on top of the snow. Then the traffic slowly died out to the point where there was only three cars out front at closing time. I'm just happy that I didn't have to be on the roads. Glad you made it back home safely.

Bill - I don't know what problem specifically you're having, but here's some advice Dan gave me personally a couple of years ago regarding the repeater. He said if I had a heavy traffic load it might work better to connect the repeater a bit differently. Instead of bringing the signal into the front, bring it into one of the jacks on the back. (I don't remember exactly why he said to do it that way, but I DO remember that he bristled a little when I questioned him on it.) But bottom line is that's the way I've used it for the past couple of years and it has worked great!

George, there seems to be a repeating problem with you mounting things in the backside, or was it somebody else doing it and you commenting on it? I can't find the thread to reference back to.

Yesterday, I was wearing shorts cooking a 23# turkey on the grill. This morning, wearing thermal wear for black Friday shopping. My son and I get back home and had to get up on the garage roof to tighten a couple guy ropes. Later, I need to repair a couple 7' trees that got toppled over from the wind.

• The topic was locked