Light-O-Rama Forums

My hardware sabotage or machine against man

Max-Paul

This is my 4th year and the first 3 yrs went off without a hitch. So, by now I feel fairly good about my ability to put together a show without any problems other than the ones I create and fix myself in short order.

Well this year I added 4 controllers to bring my count up to 10 of the PC controllers and 2 D.C. controllers. Ok so I got all set up and used a short jumper of cat 5 to connect to the first controller and with my laptop go thru all of the channels and all lights work (ok one LED item got plug reversed). I have never had any problem in the past running a sequence via the seq. ed. Well I saw some strange light activity for the first time.

I have sense replaced a couple of the cat 5 cables. And turned off all over the overhead in the seq ed. The buttons no long change color. The bar no longer moves along withe timing and wave form. Long story shortened I found that using my laptop at the PC end of the Cat5, all works fine. The laptop is plugged into the wall outlet and this does not cause a problem. But when using my show computer, I have problems. Using hardware Utility I find between 13 and 20 items, but I only have 12 items. But the laptop always finds 12 items. Using the show computer and trying to run any kind of show, I get random lights or stuck lights. Using the laptop, I am getting only 12 items in HWU and NO random lights and all is good.

So, something is not quite right with my show tower computer. I suspect that the power supply is no longer producing a clean DC voltage. Going to have to get a new power supply and check it out.

So, if your getting ghost devices. Try a different computer if possible. Might be something wrong with your show computer.

Just don't buy a cheap supply. I was using a cheap 585W power supply to run my Ball Tree, worked last spring, now I'm down until my new supply shows up next week. I have thermaltakes supplies in my good computers and don't have any issues.

• Like 1

I'll have to see what I put in it a few years back. Hope that is all that is wrong with it. Good thing I hold on to some of my old laptops. Might not be up to snuff with the resource hogging software I run. But it will still do a show in a pinch.

Ya, I usually tend to use something better than the cut rate stuff. But I have also seen early failures on some of the big named brands too. Thanks for your thought scubado