Light-O-Rama Forums

Does your spouse get in the way of your setting up display?

Santas Helper

Wait a minute....give the wives a break!!!! I am a wife and at this house the rolls are reversed. My husband is the one asking why, how, what for and all those other million questions. He pays the electric bill and never complains, so guess I am lucky with that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• scubado

• Jay Czerwinski

• De Trommelslager

Wait a minute....give the wives a break!!!! I am a wife and at this house the rolls are reversed. My husband is the one asking why, how, what for and all those other million questions. He pays the electric bill and never complains, so guess I am lucky with that.

Don't get me wrong, I just wish she would speak up when she has ideas, instead of waiting until I'm all done and ready to go.

Agreed!! Although somewhat funny in a sitcom kind of way, be careful with the broad stereotyping!! (yes, I meant to use that word) ;)

Sometimes I wish I were single, but then I wouldn't have as much motivation to do what I do. Besides, she does a good job keeping the reigns on me, otherwise I'd be like a trophy wife @ Macies buying more lights and controllers.

Wait a minute....give the wives a break!!!! I am a wife and at this house the rolls are reversed. My husband is the one asking why, how, what for and all those other million questions.

Wynell, we would be dangerous together it sounds like. ;)

I knew some wives were the major decor boss on here which is I why I said "spouse" in the main thread. :)

And if my wife did what you do, I would give her a break :D .

Edited by Santas Helper

Im in the same situation... everyone tells me "dont go through all the trouble" .. "why do you drive yourself crazy with this..." etc etc. and honestly its hard to explain why I do it, why I spend all the time and money on it... Id like to say its a hobby - but i think most of us would be lying to ourselves - I've come to accept that it IS an addiction. I couldnt NOT do it if I tried. Yes - I spend a lot more money than I should on it - and yes it does take a lot of time, but you know what - at least im not out at the bars getting drunk every night or $40,000 in debt to online poker sites... for an addiction - its a relatively cheap one with no adverse effects (well besides the cuts, bruises and occasional fall off the ladder...) and it brings a lot of joy to me and the people around me - it brings the community together, especially in a time of social media where it seems not only do people not talk to each other - but with everyone glued to cell phones, you can barely get people to SEE you anymore - and as always we accept money for a local charity as well as canned food and toys. All in all - its an addiction im proud to have...and my wife has come to terms with it - but she probably wont be asking me to add more lights or channels any time soon!!

Well, I have to eat crow. My lovely wife came out today, and apparently had the "ah-ha" moment. After seeing the Visualizer play and then seeing the elements getting placed on the lawn enabled her to get a mental grasp of the show. She's now excited to see it light up.

This afternoon, she pitched in by dragging CAT5 cable between controllers, and helped with holding stuff, etc. She's even talking about additions for next year! Mini-me also pitched in today and painted the backboards that will get controllers. Having the project turn into a family activity is great. Progress was slower because I had to stop and direct/answer questions, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Smoked crow over a bed of rice... LOL!!

I couldn't do this hobby without the wife. We have done this so long now, she knows the drill. All the shrubs and small trees in our yard are 4 colors,and thats 3 to 8 strings per color, per bush. Well.....the last 3 seasons, I haven't put on one of those strings! Shes just a trooper and does it. That alone saves me days of work. Nope.........it wouldn't get done without her...........

I couldn't do this hobby without the wife. We have done this so long now, she knows the drill. All the shrubs and small trees in our yard are 4 colors,and thats 3 to 8 strings per color, per bush. Well.....the last 3 seasons, I haven't put on one of those strings! Shes just a trooper and does it. That alone saves me days of work. Nope.........it wouldn't get done without her...........

She sounds like a trooper Mike.

I realize a lot of spouses just don't have the same interest. But we love them all the same. :wub:

Guest Don Gillespie

As I was plugging in the last element for the day ( I still have to put up my gigantic reindeer which I am doing on sat) my lovely wife opened the patio door and said very loudly, do you need any help, I guess that's what I get for always asking her that question when the dishes are being done. I laughed any way.

I love my lady. she suggested i take a few day of work to work on the display, then spent those days having me watch the kids while she ran errands. on the other hand she understands this takes time and doesn't give me a hard time for the long hours.

I have no complaints with my wife, I just wasn't going to let her change what I plan all year for. She never says a word about any cash I spend, or what I do with the display (since that first year), and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Period.

My favorite is the....."And How Much Did This Cost? and for what? a few seconds of blinking lights to nobody else but you know what it does"

As I was plugging in the last element for the day ( I still have to put up my gigantic reindeer which I am doing on sat) my lovely wife opened the patio door and said very loudly, do you need any help, I guess that's what I get for always asking her that question when the dishes are being done. I laughed any way.

Love it Don! My wife stays out of the setting up process but sure helps out with the programming- can be frustrating because I can work on a song, think it looks good, run it for her and get the I dont like it- do this or do that. Love my wife and always will. Most of the time she is right about the changes she suggests. The other few times she isnt right it is because what she suggested cant be done...lol

The Queen stays out of it, except for coming out once in a while and say, that looks good or to say be care. Setting up the other day she came out and said be careful for about the third time, goes back into the house. Well just about that time I got unbalanced and I made a long step down to catch myself and my heal sank in the potting soil and over the retaining wall I go backwards, take out one of her plywood pilgrams, over the sidwalk step taling out a landscape light, continued rolling down the yard to the driveway. Finally coming to a stop. First thing jump up and look around to see if anyone saw this happen. The watching one of her pumkins rolling down the street. Had to run after it and catch it before it hit the curb, Going in the house to bandage my wounds, she says. I told you to be careful. Well, pumpkin, you should have been out there to remind me to be careful I forgot. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No she is really pretty good. She supprts me. I just wush she was out there to support the ladder. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!