Light-O-Rama Forums

Does your spouse get in the way of your setting up display?

Santas Helper

Here I am close to getting everything done and I still get blah blah blah from the wife.

I've heard it for the past three weeks.

Things like "I miss you", "are you on the computer again" and "can you do" this or that?

Every year I do the same thing and she knows WHAT time of year it is. Nothing has changed!!!

IT'S FREAKIN CHRISTMAS TIME!!!

After the setup is done (tomorrow) I'm all good. But...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE TILL THEN!!! (to the wife that is)

Geeze, I don't get it. I have three weeks from Halloween to get things set up. THREE WEEKS OUT OF THE WHOLE FREAKIN YEAR. I'M ONLY ASKING FOR THREE WEEKS!!!

Okay, I'm off my milk stool now (kinda).

If you want to share your lovely moment. Please do so I don't feel alone here. ;)

Oh, she went to McDonalds to get dinner so I'm on the computer now... :lol:

I'm glad we get four weeks next year. :D

P.S. In the end, she says the display looks great and braggs about it to everyone she knows.

But damn girl, the PMS in November sucks...

Okay, now I'm done.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• scubado

• Jay Czerwinski

• De Trommelslager

My wife has a black eye. you know what she does? The dishes if she knows whats good for her.lol

Dang man that's harsh haha I stayed home today to finish and had 2 uninterrupted hours then the wifey wanted to get her nails done. Baby duty for me 4 hours later I am finally back in the garage checking all the icicle lights to make sure they work to put up tomorrow.

*shrug* My wife loves my display. She told me when we were watching the test run that she can't wait for me to get more lights and channels.

Yep, I get the same thing here from Oct. through Dec.... ,no, actually all year long.

"you know you could/should be doing this or that instead of doing THAT" . Sounds like we're in the same boat Tom. :(

My wife "Didn't like the way the mega tree looked." She insisted I eliminate the 1 foot of space between my star and the top of the tree skirt. That meant I would have to redesign the tree on the fly this year. Loosing that space meant my hood head was above where my guywires tied into the tree, thus no more sliding the hook head up and down. Now it means more trips up and down the ladder. But that's why I love her, she's the thorn in my side, I guess that's why I love her... Sometimes I wonder.

My GF here wanted nothing to do with this hobby as this is my first year. Told me lots of times to leave her out of it and I was doing way too much...blah, blah and so on. Nothing but negativity all year till she saw it all set up...which of course, props in the front yard don't look so hot in the day but the first time she saw a sequence run out there at night a few days ago, she changed her tune a lot. Now she's acting like she's proud of it. LOL, we'll see what she says when the neighbors are all here Friday evening for first light-up.

Well, Mrs. Trommelslager keeps asking why I want to go to all of the trouble, how much more am I going to spend, how high is the electric bill going to be, etc. She's not a person that can have a visual concept of something, so that doesn't help. Bless her heart, she's very frugal and today she asked why each segment of the arches has to have 200 lights. "Because I am trying to cut expenses and am not putting 400 on each segment." At Home Depot a few days ago she saw the Mr. Christmas box and wondered why we were doing LOR since it is so much more.

However, she brags about the work I am doing and how nice the display will be to her friends. There are three dates already where folks will be coming for a dinner visit and to see the lights. I love her dearly and don't know what I would do without her, but figuring her out... not happening!

And yes, there is always a "quick" request that hampers progress. Store, errand, fix this or that, etc.

And yes, there is always a "quick" request that hampers progress. Store, errand, fix this or that, etc.

Indeed, there is always something, but I am lucky that my wife is being as supportive as possible even though we just moved in to a new home, had a baby, and she is dealing with the life change of not working in an office anymore and relying on me when she used to provide for herself.

This weekend she called grandma over to watch the baby so that we could raise the mega tree together!! (Unfortunately I gotta break it to her I just learned I hung the CCPs wrong and it's gotta come back down for some structural enhancements). But I suspect we will do just fine.

Hang in there boys if your wife is less than supportive - keep your passions!!!

I've often thought they should be happy that at least our obsession is at home. We're not riding motorcycles, bar hoppin, gambling, etc....

I'm on the happy end of the spectrum also. Sharon is the best helper I've ever had when it comes to lights. She's even to the point where her daughter came over last weekend to help plug things in and Sharon ran the show. It was like I was able to be in two places at the same time. Actually, it kind of made me blush what a great job they did - when we checked things that night there was only one thing plugged in wrong. I can't say this out loud, but I now have a new level of perfection to aspire to...

First year was a pain.

This year my wife is awesome because she knows what the house will look like when I am done. She helps with all the pain in the a@# stuff too which is great. (For example: she cut the white tags off of 200 new sets of lights)

I should have said something more, Wife is afraid of heights, NEVER goes more than two steps up the ladder. As you might have guessed, it leaves me to do 95% of the lights.

My wife loves to make last min changes. Like, you need to eliminate that song (the one she listed to 4000x as I was programming it last winter), and she also would like me to change how crappy the yard looks during the day. Maybe next year.

But all and all she supports my addiction and opens the pocket book.

I do sequencing all year long so she leaves me alone she watches tv in the livingroom and i sequence there to with headphones on i tell her were are together and i dont like her shows anyway so she dont get any gripe from me about them

My wife started that I want this, I want that a couple of years ago. I told her fine, the display is outside, knock yourself out. I do my display how I want it. You want to change it, again, knock yourself out. Needless to say she didn't do anything. Problem solved.

First timer here...I don't really think my wife grasped the full scope of the display until she saw it a couple of nights ago, however she completely supported the last 6 months of me being in the basement. I don't think anyone in my family understood until they saw it. My 16 year daughter...and you know how 16 year old kids already know it all, told me she was really proud of me. Makes it all worth it.

Hmmmmm........... I'm sensing a few of the "D" words from people here in the near future..... ;-) Will never bad mouth my wife. Love her dearly. She is glad it's all put up though! First year takes a lot of work!

Nope, no "D" words around here.

I too Love my wife dearly but when I'm on a time table to getting things done and I'm in the middle of it, I like to get it done.

She loves the display when it's all set up but getting to that finished product takes time, especially while we have wonderful weather to get it done in.

She just doesn't understand what all goes into doing a full blown animated light show.

And I have to admit, When I get focused on something, it's frustrating to get destracted.

At the end of the day, it's all good. We don't hold grudges. ;)

First year takes a lot of work!

Wait till you get to your 7th year ;) .

My wife is pretty quiet thorughout the year. Right up until I finish setting up. After setup and testing is complete, then she asks why I didn't put more lights on the roof, or on the ground, or around the windows...yadda, yadda.

I give her the look and she goes back in the house....LOL

This year, I told her to write down her ideas and I would work on them for next year.