Light-O-Rama Forums

Bought 1st 16 channel controler ... now what can I do with...?

usedcarguy

I know alot of people are putting up finishing touches on their display. As I haven't even put up my first string of lights.

I had all these plans (leaping arches , sprial trees) how I wanted my display to look and all the cool stuff I want to do back in april when I bought my first LOR 16 Channel controller. Well summer flew by and now christmas is fast approaching.. I have nothing built, programmed, sequenced. ect..

With the time frame I have left.. what can I do for the biggest bang for my buck!!? I really wanted to do a weber sprial tree approx. 10' or so..

It seems like alot of people use 16 channel or more on their trees.. I hate to burn my only control on one tree.

Can I maybe do 8 channels or so on sprial tree one color sprial and/or possible another color just as a solid color, then save some channels for mini treees or other stuff??

any help would be greatly appreiated. I will be using icans this year....

with only 16channels and wanting bang for your buck, your better off using them on bushs, trees, and house outline. maybe one channel per color mega tree.

just remember you can expand next year.

and yes you are very late to the party.... :o

just my thoughts.

good luck

You can build a very nice display using 16 channels. I started with 16 channels and people thought it was wonderful. Remember, if you plan your display well, you can use 1 channels to drive more than 1 display item. For example, you could use 1 channel to run 1 string on a spiral tree and the same channel to run 1 or more mini trees. The first spiral tree I built used 6 channels for 12 strings of lights. The back and the front moved together, limited the effects I could sequence, but it looked good. Or if you want to outline your windows with lights and have 6 windows, window 1 and 4 can be the same channel, 2 and 5, etc. You get the idea.

Wish you luck. You are really starting late. Here is a video of what I did my first year with 16 channels.

I only have 16 channels. I built 8 mini trees (54" tall, so they're not quite so "mini") and built 8 Christmas tree wedges (it's 5 individual 50 light strands secured to the top of a 5' wood stake, with the bottoms spread out into a triangle shape). So I've got 16 individual items to flash. The rest of my display is static...at least for now.

As for sequencing, lots of 16 channel songs people are willing to share. Grab them. I'm using them for this year, and I started programming my own stuff 3 months ago.

Here is a 10ft mega that's pretty easy to assemble (although at the time I did mine I wasn't convinced of that), that I use 12 channels on, clear bulbs only

http://www.loopychri...jects&Itemid=58

It's not a spiral, but......

One other option is to make an animation sequence for your first year, it will just flash lights, but worked for my first year.

Thanks everybody for your replies..

I know im extremely late... Life happens I guess... had so much other stuff going on this year..

o-well

I'll make the best of it this year.. I understand it too late to sequence anything of my own this year.. I'll see if I can borrow or buy someone elses this year..

Be certain to visit the Sequences area of the forums. There are several 16 channel sequences there. LOR also has a couple of free Trans-Siberian Orchastra songs on their site.

Much like you I am very late to the party. However, I have 6 songs sequenced so far. Slightly modified the two from LOR, two of my own, and modified two from here: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B86vzf3chl0oTjdPRjRNa1oyVzA/edit?pli=1

And thank you all for setting up and contributing to that wonderful repository of song sequences! :)