Light-O-Rama Forums

Yet another feature request - LOR LIVE!

Guest guest

I had an idea today that would be helpful for people doing Halloween stuff with their LOR box. A Software light control board where each channel has sliders like a sound mixing board. They would control the lights in real-time. Also, keyboard mapping for on/off or preset level control and such would be nice.

I did some searches on DMX and all I found was circuit cards. I want to just control the lights in real time using sliders on my computer or hotkeys on my keyboard.

Or are the slider units used to control DMX lights called something else?

DanLW:

Since I just finished my research into my automation option (DMX vs. Comet vs, LOR, X10...etc), I've recently learned more than I need to know about DMX. My understanding is that DMX is really a protocol and has many different types of uses. One option is to buy a controller board like you describe and run it to DMX Dimmer packs. This is the typical way stage/theatre companies use it. The boards let you program 'scenes' and control channels 'real' time. Some boards can handle hundreds of channels with just 16 or 32 sliders by combining sets of channels into banks. Just google "DMX Light Control". You will find links to many DJ and Theatrical type companies. A newer option is to use software on your computer as a 'virtual' controller. You would then need some sort of DMX I/O card that you would connect to the DMX Dimmer packs. (BTW Dimmer packs typically come 4 channels per pack).

After doing all this research, I personally decided on going with a combination of LOR and X10, but If what I've seen on these posts is correct, the future LOR releases may include some DMX functionality. I'm not sure if that means the software will be able to send out DMX command to a DMX board, or the Software and current LOR interface cable will handle both LOR and DMX commands or if the DMX will be added as an optional input port on the LOR boards themselves.

I do agree with you that a cool function in the LOR software would be a 'virtual' real-time channel controller. Maybe another window that looks like a mixing board. It would probably need to work in combination with both the seqencer and be able to override the scheduler.

I hope this long winded explanation helps you.

Okay, finally I found the DMX slider boards. The cheapest I saw was about $250. For that much I'd prefer to just control the LOR units through software. But if I did decide to go that advanced, one of those sliders would be nice to use.

how many channels did you need? a simple 8 channell moveing light board will controll 8 dimmers, for about $120. if the board offers what is callde ''soft patch" then you can controll 512 dimmers (hints the name DMX 512).

If you want a simple board like this look on ebay.. they go cheap on there all the time! I have looked for some stuff like this but haven't boughten.. since I do professional Lighting. DMX 512 gets expensive, Trust Me! It's best to stick with another LOR board!

Seems simple enough. Go down to your volume controll on your toolbar. Double click and you see a mixer/ control to adjust all sorts of sound related items. Seems that the same type of thing could be set up for up to 16 channels at a time. For instance double click on LOR controller 01.01 and all the channels for that controller would show on the screen and then just slide away.