Light-O-Rama Forums

Music Sequence Syncing Off...

DocBrown86

I hope I can explain this properly... I set 4 timings at a point in the song where it sounded correct. I played it from that spot and they looked correct as well. I played it half-way through those 4 timings, starting on the third, and the timings were out of sync! I corrected the error and played sequence from beginning of the entire song. It lined up. Went back and started sequence from the 1st of those 4 timings and it was off again! If I "fixed" the timings again, they would be back to where I started. This goes back and fourth.

How do I fix this? What is actually happening? I do not want to program an entire show to what looks to be perfect and then see that it is half a beat off throughout most of it.... Help!!

Edited by DocBrown86

How do I check that?

I went to the song, right click, properties, details and see: Bit rate 320kbps

Is that what you mean?

LOR recommends using either .wav files or 128kbps constant bitrate (CBR) mp3s. That's probably what's causing your problems. You need to use an audio converter, such as Audacity, to change it to what LOR requires.

Ok I'll try it as a Wav. Will that destroy all I've done so far, or simply just replace the audio file? (And hopefully start behaving)

Wav file seems to have done the trick. Why was the Mp3 file an issue?

MP3 files come in two types, "variable bit rate" and "constant bit rate". When you ask Windows Media Player (which LOR uses) to play a variable bit rate file starting at some point other than the very beginning, it kind of takes a guess as to roughly where to start playing. That is, for example, if you tell LOR to start playing it at time 3:07.37, then LOR will tell WMP to start playing it at time 3:07.37. But WMP might actually start playing it at 3:07.35, or something, so your lights and the music will be slightly off.

WMP doesn't have this issue with constant bit rate MP3s, or with WAV files. If you tell it to start playing one of those at 3:07.37, it will start playing at 3:07.37.