Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving Head not cooperating

tbrama

Im trying to work with a moving head on my dmx network... When i set the DMX Intensity it decides to go to what it was set then back to resting position... What causes that behavior?

Im using S3, RS485 to USB adapter and a LOR RJ45 to XLR adapter.... It controls my dmx dimmer packs no problem but the moving heads not so much.

Is this one of the 6 channel moving head lights?

I'm not 100% since I dont have one, but I recall hearing somewhere since you have each of the DMX functions mapped to a channel if you dont keep something in that channel then the DMX value returns to zero in the empty sequence timing cell...

I'm not sure on movement.. but I think if you feed for example an 128 to the move channel then that would have to remain on at 128 which you did other functions.. otherwise the next cell returns the value to zero and you go pack to home (or what ever position value home is.)

Let me know.. Like I said .. i "THINK" i remember reading this somewhere but it may have been a Christmas Cookie induced dream

Bob

Bob is correct; unless you keep it at that position with your dmx value, it will "home" when it sees a zero.

Again, I dont have one so the only other suggestions I can make is either the device has a problem, the value you are sending is putting it to a limit that makes it return home to keep from damaging the movement or the there are settings that override the DMX commands after the fact. Since we dont have the make and model, I'll assume its like the other ones I have seen. If there are set up DIP switches on the back, make sure that the AUTO MODE, Sound Sensitivity, master/Salve and any other non-DMX controlled function is disabled or set correctly

Another issue may be, for example, the Stage Ape Coaster says it is NOT made to work with DMX software. So I assume you have to run the DMX through a control board.

Keep us up on this.. I would like the "Paul Harvey" version of .. the rest of the story...

• The topic was locked