Light-O-Rama Forums

Chan 11 stays on but very very faint..

ToddH

The channel works with any sequence but for some reason channel 11 on controller 1 stays on, it’s extremely faint but when all lights are off you can see it. What steps do I need to take to troubleshoot this? I also turned off the pc that is running all shows, unplugged all controllers, powered them back on and that one channel turns on but gain very low, like there is some small power being sent to it. Is this a bad wire? bad triac? how can i test and troubleshoot this?

Sounds like a bad trial. You can try resetting the board as this sometimes will clear it. Directions for resetting the board are in the manual that came with the controller.

I tried resetting the board to no avail. I also eliminated if the issue is with wire or the LED's themselves by plugging a different set of LED's into that channel and they are doing the same thing. Channel functions normally when sequences are playing but when all are off or even when the network is down that one channel stays dimly lit....

Well I was able to fix it (but I don't think its a permanent fix) by plugging in a small line of incandescent into the line....seems to have resolved the issue but how safe is doing that?

Well I was able to fix it (but I don't think its a permanent fix) by plugging in a small line of incandescent into the line....seems to have resolved the issue but how safe is doing that?

That is perfectly safe, but it would be better to just make a snubber. search snubber in the forums for more info.

Check the polarity of the power to the unit. If this is reversed, you will get some very faint channel leakage. The one set of soffit outlets I hired an electrician for ended up having one outlet wired backwards and I finally trouble shot the issue with a simple circuit tester.

• 1 month later...

Well it seems that my issue has come back... I took off the incandescents and made a snubber. I plugged it into the line (the other side of the plug) and it resolved the issue up until last night. So we are talking about over a month this worked...what would have caused this to come back?? Did the snubber go bad? Did I connect it in the line incorrectly (should it be in the end of the lights or before? Should I put a female outlet in the middle of the wire and put it there?) any help would be greatly appreciated.