Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 8

Janet

Thank you. Please, if you don't mind, let me know after your shows start running if you feel the same way. My computer is 7 years old so I'm going to have to replace it soon anyway.

Janet

There's another thread on Windows 8 and it's not good. It may work for LOR, but 8 is very buggy and geared for a touchscreen monitor. A show computer doesn't need much to run. If your current XP machine runs the show fine, why change? For sequencing, a good desktop computer with a beefy graphics card and dual monitor is a great way to go, with Windows 7.

There's another thread on Windows 8 and it's not good. It may work for LOR, but 8 is very buggy and geared for a touchscreen monitor. A show computer doesn't need much to run. If your current XP machine runs the show fine, why change? For sequencing, a good desktop computer with a beefy graphics card and dual monitor is a great way to go, with Windows 7.

I've run Window 8 on two machines(a netbook and our HTPC) since launch day and I have not had one problem. I'm even completely used to and like the new interface and desktop.

Not sure what all the fuss is about this O/S... I think it's a nice move forward for MS. Hell... my 12 year old son likes it soo much on the HTPC he wants me to update his notebook to Win8... so that's saying something's right. ;)

The official LOR stance on Windows 8 is this:

We have tested S3 with Windows 8, and we know of several people who are running S3 on Windows 8. While not certified to run on Windows 8, LOR S3 should run without issue.

• Like 1

I guess my main issue is that I don't really have a backup plan if my laptop decides to malfunction. I'm a Mac person and only purchased the laptop to run my shows, which means I do all my sequencing on it as well. It locked up on me several times during the summer, so that's why I'm thinking I need to replace in the near future. Thank you all for your input. I guess I'll just cross my fingers this year and then maybe look for a bargain after Christmas.

Janet

I just had a ticket on this, and want to add it here:

Some new tablets are coming with something called Windows RT, which is Windows 8 for ARM processors. We do not support RT since it is used with a completely different architecture (ARM vs INTEL). You can try to use S3 with RT, but I doubt you'll be able to get drivers installed for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be receiving a new PC soon which is loaded with Windows 8. I believe it will have the 64-bit OS on it. I am hoping there will be no problems with it for doing shows as well as sequencing. Can anyone vouche for Windows 8 64-bit with LOR?