Light-O-Rama Forums

Beginning my LOR power Distro

CUTTHEMUSIC

Check out what the big brown truck brought to my house yesterday. 80 feet of Carol Cable 2/4 portable cord(trust me, its not very portable), part # 16094. I am going to use this to feed a portable subpanel that I am building. Notice the orange extension cord that I laid over the spool to show just how big this stuff is, the UPS shipping label said the spool weighs 147 lbs.

IMG_0531_small.jpg

Here is the cable with the Crouse-Hinds Cam-Lok connectors attached that will connect to my subpanel. The connectors are rated at 400 amps, although my cable is only rated at 80.

IMG_0532_small.jpg

My subpanel will be mounted in a box that will have all the breakers and GFCI's. I will be adding Socapex 37 pin connectors to my higher amperage controllers. And AMP/Tyco CPC connectors to my lower amperage controllers. This will allow me to quickly hook up all of my cords to the LOR controllers. I will post more photos when I have them.

We use this same cable and cam loks setup on our 25 / 35 KW portable generators, it work perfectly. The cam loks are easy to use and very reliable. Also tough to get it wrong when connecting everything.
Daryl B.

Evan, I guess it's my turn to follow you.

Here's the female end of the connectors. These will be mounted on the panel with my controllers. The corresponding cords for the lights will connect to a male connector (not yet assembled) that will plug into this connector

These are AMP/Tyco cpc connectors. The ends of the wires connect to the LOR controller. The part # for the shell is 206150-1 and the pins are part # 1-66360-2. I am only using 32 of the 37 pins.

IMG_0533_small.jpg

IMG_0535_small.jpg

These are the Socapex SX SLD EF 439R 0704. These connectors will be used for my lights that are pulling a higher amperage than the cpc connectors. These are 39 pins

IMG_0538_small.jpg

A crimped 1-66360-2

IMG_0542_small.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here are some more pics of my power distro that is still under construction. I am installing everything in an old road case that I had, it's way overkill but I had it so I used it....besides, I am overdoing everything anyway. :) The case is on casters, and has a rear and front door that can be removed for access to the hardware.

More pics can be found at http://new.timmacrina.com/photos/2007/09/12/Christmas_controller_construction_9-12-07/

photo_00456.jpg

Here are the multipin connectors mounted and ready to be wired in.

photo_00458.jpg

Cam-lok connectors mounted. These are for the 100amp power connection.

photo_00459.jpg

The 100 amp panel mounted and the GFCI circuits.

photo_00461.jpg

Rear view of the case with the power connected.

photo_00462.jpg

Power and some channels connected

photo_00464.jpg

The case has two small doors off of one side that allow the cables to run in and out without removing the larger front and rear door.

photo_00466.jpg

A rear view of the case with it rear door on and some of the cables running through the cable doors.

Schuyler Gore wrote:

If it is not asking too much where did you buy your 2/4 SO cable?

I called Carol Cable and asked them for a local distributer that had it in stock and would cut to length. I would try to find a local one so that you don't have to have it shipped because it is heavy. Also, now that I think of it I should have gotten individual conductors of #2 because its easier to run a single #2 than this python of a snake! :D

How/Where do they connect to your house? Any pictures? That's the craziest setup I've ever seen...there are some big ones, but yours is the most heavy duty I've seen! I like the idea of the wire plugins...

lkcubsrule wrote:

How/Where do they connect to your house? Any pictures? That's the craziest setup I've ever seen...there are some big ones, but yours is the most heavy duty I've seen! I like the idea of the wire plugins...

I am also going to use cam-loks at my main panel. I am going to mount a disconnect box right next to the main panel and it will have cam-loks just like the sub panel does. I haven't installed it yet so I don't have pictures but I will post them when I do. My setup is heavy duty and I will it is way overbuilt for almost any Christmas light application but building the stuff is by far my most favorite part of this hobby so I sometimes seem to over complicate things just for the fun of it. My setup is modeled after many touring sound/lighting power distro rigs that I have used in the past when I toured with bands in my younger years before I got a "real" job, the only difference is that most of them were 3 phase power and of much higher capacities.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Tim... so when can I come by and pickup that thing?:cool:

Your more than welcome to come by and pick it up.;) Good luck with your back because it is very heavy and getting heavier every day as I add more stuff. I need to add two more GFI's because I am now going to supply power to my neighbors houses so that they can be more involved.

CUTTHEMUSIC wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
Tim... so when can I come by and pickup that thing?:cool:

I need to add two more GFI's because I am now going to supply power to my neighhbors houses so that they can be more involved.

Ya mean X-10 sockets??? so you can shut their houses off before your show starts??? (and use all the extra power on your house? lol

lkcubsrule wrote:

Ya mean X-10 sockets??? so you can shut their houses off before your show starts??? (and use all the extra power on your house? lol

I was thinking that. Thanks for the reminder.

• 3 weeks later...

lkcubsrule wrote:

[align=center]photo_00467_small.jpg[/align]

Here is the disconnect that I got on ebay for $30. I decided to hard wire the 2/4 wire instead of using the cam loks. I spent enough money this year so I will add them next year.

[align=center]photo_00468_small.jpg[/align]

[align=center]photo_00469_small.jpg[/align]

I still need to get a strain relief for the cable and fuses.

Hey Tim, Great looking setup but I do have a question?

I see that you use male 39 pin connectors inside your rolling electric setup but run each channel outside of the box. Why didn't you run a 25' or 50' extension to 16 pig tails so you can cut down on extension cords? Just curious - your setup is still pretty awesome!

I made 50' 16 channel extension cords so I could run 16 channels to a specific location and also thought of installing 39 pin connectors from the light-o-rama box out but alot of work to accomplish that feat! You have to love soldering a little for that!

Is that mobile power source the sole provider for your power this year?

Good Luck - Definitely the best mobile power supply yet!

Bill

Bill Sawallisch Jr. wrote:

I see that you use male 39 pin connectors inside your rolling electric setup but run each channel outside of the box. Why didn't you run a 25' or 50' extension to 16 pig tails so you can cut down on extension cords? Just curious - your setup is still pretty awesome!

I'm not sure I understand??? All of my cords are cut to length so they vary in length. From the multi pin connector the cords run directly to the lights. There are no extensions being used.
Is that mobile power source the sole provider for your power this year?
The distro is rated at 100 amps @ 220 volts. I am only going to pull around 80 amps @ 110 volts so I have plenty of room for expansion. If I go to LED I could probably expand my display by 200 fold. I'm glad you are impressed, I do most of this for my own enjoyment...kinda like building a custom car and never driving it. It's the building part that is the most fun.

Yes I completely agree its more fun building than anything else.

What I meant with the 39 pin connectors - in the pictures you show we can't see where the custom cords go -I just figured they ran out of your mobile cart approx. 10' and that was it.

Good luck this year - I also agree if I used LED's I could expand as well. I am pulling 208 amps when all is on so I think LED's are in my near future.

Bill