Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension cords

docbass06

I'm reading through a lot of forum post and I notice people talking about making extension cords. Is this a cost saving measure or do people do it to get the extra length without paying for a commercial cord. The reason I ask is I'm not an electrician so i'm a little concerned about my skills.

Custom length. The main advantage. With SPT-1 or 2 and vampire plugs you can get custom length extension cords to where you don't have a whole lot extra laying under a bush. Very simple to use SPT 1 has a smooth side and a ribbed side. The ribbed side always goes to white or neutral smooth side is always the hot side. Just slide the SPT 1 or 2 wire into the socket bend it over slide the top on and now you have a custom length extension cord. No special electrition skills needed

Edited by Ron Boyd

I am new to this also and I have noticed that not only can you make the custom lengths for the cords but it is also cheaper. I bought 1000ft of SPT-2 wire with 50ea of male and female plugs for $180 through WLCventures.com. They are working for me ATM and I am by far no electrician.

we went through almost 2000 ft of spt 1 and 60 plugs each. We still have a couple heavy duties coming from stuff off the roof.. my husband LOVES the vampire plugs. He had never used them before. how long did it take to get it from WLC? I was concerned because I guess they only work like 2 days a week or something. I got mine at christmaslightshow.com good pricing and good service. Live person when you answer the phone.

another plus is once you get past 25 foot runs you will save money,it adds up fast when you use 2000 feet. plus a lot less bulk when you put your display away

• Like 1

another plus is once you get past 25 foot runs you will save money,it adds up fast when you use 2000 feet. plus a lot less bulk when you put your display away

its also easier to hide... hard to hide big orange cords...lol be had to cross a gravel pathway so the trench wasn't so big. its more esthetically pleasing in the yard... however, its also harder to see.... I've tripped a time or 5 LOL. but yeah.... much more cost effective for sure!

I was a liitle late to order cord and cord ends this year. The cheapest male plugs I could find were $1/piece the females were $2. I just went to Wal-Mart and bought 6' cords for $1.37 each. I then picked up 250' of SPT-2 from Lowes and a 100 crimp connectors. Cut the cord in two added wire as needed and crimped them back together. It also gave me 3 females on each cord instead of 1. Cover the crimp conectors with heat shrink tubing. Might do the same thing next year if.................................well when we add more channels.

I'm a contrarian here... I don't use many custom SPT cord harnesses in the display. I put my controllers as close to the lights they control as possible, and find there are very few cases where either a 6, 9, 12, or 15-foot cord won't do the job (I have a big box of them). My next most popular length is a 20' green 3-prong cord.

For some of my multi-channel items like arches, I do have some custom wiring harnesses, but since each channel is only controlling a single string of lights, I find SPT-wire way overkill, so I've used much thinner gauge wire (20 or so). This year I bought some thermostat wire for that purpose. Then I just use ends salvaged off old Christmas lights to make the male/female ends.

Every year that I do this, I find myself using fewer and fewer long cords. Just the advantage of putting controllers outside by their lights, rather than in one (or a few) central locations.

Get what? If you mean the vampire plugs, get them online:

Here

OR you can go to Lowe's and get these and these. They are about the same price, but less convenient.

If you mean SPT-1 or SPT-2 wire, it is just the 18 gauge lamp wire that is on the spools that they sell by the foot.

Edited by OAC.12

Get what? If you mean the vampire plugs, get them online:

Here

OR you can go to Lowe's and get these and these. They are about the same price, but less convenient.

If you mean SPT-1 or SPT-2 wire, it is just the 18 gauge lamp wire that is on the spools that they sell by the foot.

Thank you!

Papa6058,

Wrap it in electrical tape. Thats what I do, and it has always worked.

I heard that this is a bad idea because the electrical tape would cause moisture to get in the plugs. Any thoughts?

I bought plung ends from these guys http://store.ledgenlighting.com/search.asp?keyword=slide&search=GO very happy.I also got my 18 gauge spt-1 wire from lowes but I did a price match with Menards to get the rolls at 34 dollars,,,,no need to wrap your ends with tape it will only cause you problems. just make sure your pluga are off the ground and you will be better off

anyone? and where do you get them, just went to Lowe's and could not find any and help was not to be

I got my stuff at Christmaslightshow.com