Light-O-Rama Forums

Controllers and lights not cooperating!

Bruce Kryfka

After a two year departure I decided too give the 2 new controllers that I purchased a chance to work. I have all 4 connected and the computer recognizes all 4. I decided too test some lights to see if they work. The first two controller lights worked fine they come on and go off. The new controllers lights come on as soon as they are plugged in without computer assist. If you turn the lights on they start blinking and turn them off and they stay on. I even tried turning them off by turn lights off button on the computer screen but still on. Am I missing something.

Let's do a reset of the problem controller.

If it's a 1600 series Generation 1 or 2 (metal enclosure and no LED display inside), disconnect the power, set the unit ID switches to 0-0, and reapply power. The status light will blink very fast. Wait a few seconds, remove power, change the Unit ID switches back to where they were and reapply power. You've reset the board.

If it's a 1600 series Generation 3 (metal enclosure with LED display inside), disconnect the power, press the up and down buttons simultaneously and reapply power. The display will show '0000.' Wait a few seconds, release the up and down buttons, the controller will be reset and return to normal operation in about two seconds.

If it's a CTB-16PC series Generation 1 or 2 (typically in a plastic enclosure, red status light and has a jumper block to the right of the data cable connectors), disconnect the power, remove the jumper next to the data connectors (usually in the second position (or J2)) and reapply power. The status light will blink very fast. Wait a few seconds, remove power, replace the jumper on the J2 position and reapply power. You've reset the board. Go into the Hardware Utility and make sure the board is assigned to the correct physical location where it was before the reset.

If it's a CTB-16PC series Generation 3 (typically in a plastic enclosure, green status light and has a jumper block to the left of the data cable connectors), disconnect the power. On JP3, counting from the left, move the jumper on pins 4 and 5 over one notch to pins 5 and 6. Reapply power. The status light will blink very fast. Wait a few seconds, remove power, move the jumper pack to pins 4 and 5. Reapply power. You've reset the board. Go into the Hardware Utility and make sure the board is assigned to the correct physical location where it was before the reset.

If it's a CTB-32 controller board (typically with a green status light), disconnect the power from the controller. On reset header JP3 (just to the lower left of the data cable connectors), counting from the left, remove the jumper between pins 4 and 5. Power up the controller and the Status LED should flash rapidly. Disconnect the power from the controller and put the jumper back on between Pins 4 and 5 of the reset header JP3 (MAKE SURE OF ITS LOCATION). Power up the controller.

Now, run your tests again.

Once the tests work, you'll need to reset the unit IDs.

• Like 1

Would this apply to my setup also? Below is from my post last week and still have not resolved my issue.

I am running XP.I have a basic license and am running v2.9.4. My initial controller that I have been using for 4 years is a LOR1602w http://store.lightorama.com/ba16chpa.html and my addition is a CTB16PC http://store.lightor...m/reseadct.html. I bought the second controller several months ago, but just unboxed it yesterday, after building a waterproof enclosure to house both controllers. I tried several times to set the CTB as ID 02, because the older controller is still from the factory as 01, but was not able to get it to accept the function, so I named it 01 and the older model 02. I was able to access both controllers through HW, with the drop down box, but the CBT comes up as unknown device and the older controller has the new controllers model name, if "I am seeing this right. I set the Max ID to 4(41) to speed the search function as directed in the manual. Now when I run a show, the sequence is only run by one controller at a time, not in conjunction. If I have the CBT in the HW dropdown when I exit before I enable a show, that is the controller that runs and visaversa. Hope this gives youa better idea.

'Unknown Device' indicates that the software doesn't know how to handle your newer controller. You should update to S3.

You should first check to see if you qualify for a free upgrade to S3 by checking your license here:

http://www.lightorama.com/LicenseRetrieval.html

If you do not qualify, there are several options to go from S2 to S3 depending on your budget, what your current license level is, if you want to move to a new level, or if you want an add-on.

Option 1:

If you have any license level other than Advanced and want to increase your level (Say from Basic+ to Standard) you can purchase an UPGRADE. The upgrade not only increases your software level, but also entitles you to updates (including S3) for 1 year. If you have Basic or Basic+, this is the best value for the money: An upgrade to Basic+ from Basic is $20, while an upgrade from Basic+ to Standard is $30.

http://store.lightor...com/s2soup.html

Option 2:

If you have Advanced, or want to stay at the level you are currently at, purchase a license RENEWAL for $29.95. That will allow you to use S3 and any future updates for 1 year.

http://store.lightor...com/solire.html

Option 3:

You can purchase the SuperStar add-on, starting at $49.95. When you purchase a superstar add on, you are also given a complimentary license renewal (the same one you would get if you purchased option 2 above).

http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html

Remember: Your software is good for life and does NOT expire. Only your ability to go to newer versions requires a license renewal or upgrade.

I guess that I am running the 1600 series Generation 3 because it is in a metal box with the red LED to the upper right. The book I have says that it is a LOR1602W.What are the up and down buttons that I'm supposed to press.