Light-O-Rama Forums

Universal DMX Control Question

mrduncan

It's a beautiful thing when it works. I'm running my LOR controllers in DMX mode this year along with many other DMX channels. I like an an Entec Pro to run DMX devices if it needs to be USB based. I had bad testing luck with my USB485B device in DMX mode last year. The Entec Pro was rock solid last year. I'm running E1.31 this year so I didn't want to post any pictures of this and confuse.

The only other way to run DMX off a LOR protocol line is with an IDMX device from LOR. As Kevin pointed out. The LOR controllers running under the LOR protocol works best. You loose some functionality by running them in DMX and DMX is just more difficult to work with.

The LOR setup is just simple and it works for the largest share of the people.

I forgot to mention that I'm running version 3.8. This was only necessary for E1.31 that I'm running. You are fine on your current version for what you are doing.

The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are these. Some offer more or less functionality and of course some cost more or less than others. I would read up on them to make sure you get what best fits your needs. If the USB485B works for your needs the price is right.

I like the Pro model but it's spendy now. The Lynx works well and it's cheap if you like a DIY solution. I have not heard anything bad about and Entec Open so that would be a good choice as well. The IDMX is a good unit as well and now that it costs about the same as some other models that would work well too.

Enttec Pro

Lynx - DIY solution

Enttec open

LOR USB485B

LOR IDMX1000

If the LOR USB485B is an option then this is an inexpesive solution ($42). If I have two USB485B connected, how do you setup one for LOR and one for DMX? I assume one at a time and mark which one is the DMX adapter.

If you have two then I would rock with it this close to show open

Connect one. Start up the network configuration window and set it up as under the LOR tab. Note the ID that it show. Note the ID and label this USB485B with the name it shows. Save and shutdown the network preferences screen and attach the second. Start up the network preferences screen and configure the second for DMX universe 1. Note the ID that it finds and label the second adapter.

The key is they have and internal ID and you have to keep them straight which is setup in the software for what protocol. This should get you started. I'm not sure that the network preferences screen is in your version so this might still be in the network section of the sequences editor.

Since I need to purchase a second adapter anyway. It may be easier to buy somethng like a Enttec USB DMX Open ($60). This way there would be no confusion on which adpater is the LOR and DMX. Thoughts??? Pro's and Con's???

The ID thing isn't difficult to distinguish but I could understand doing this. My understanding is the Open and LOR USB485 are about the same as DMX is concerned. Connectors are different and the LOR unit can do LOR or DMX. For $60 its probably hard to go wrong with it. Some of the others are nice but hard to justify for the money.

So, now that I have played with my 200B, it's not as responsive as for LOR controllers with lights. 200B LED's kind of ramp on and ramp off.......does not instantly turn on LED's. Is this typical of DMX devices? For slow boring sequences, this is OK but for the faster changing sequences, this is not good.

Never had a problem with DMX responding slow. I have a Enttec Open & Pro...and as Jeff stated, works perfect everytime. I also have a iDMX which also works great, but I purchased before S3 and was the only option back then if you wanted to run DMX. The LOR adapters work like the Enttec Open, but tend to be a little flacky although the newer batches seem to be spot on and not +1 channel off.

I would go with with the Enttec Pro or ultaDMXMicro from DMXKing. Its the same as the $160 Enttec Pro but only cost $49. Only down fall is they are from New Zealand...so shipping and wait time may be a problem if your in a hurry. I personally dont have one, but read great things about them. I'll probably get one to try out.

The difference between the Open and Pro....the Open relies on your PC to keep the DMX data flowing. If your PC CPU is overloaded during your show, then the data flow will "burp" casuing DMX fixtures/devices to blackout or miss-fire. The Pro has a microprocessor built in which keeps the data stream flowing and freeing up your PC CPU. More reliable.

Kevin

• The topic was locked