Light-O-Rama Forums

Universal DMX Control Question

mrduncan

I recently purchased a Chauvet LED Splash 200B (6 channel DMX) and am now trying to control this in LOR S3. I have set it up the 200B DMX address at 113 (LOR Unit ID 8). The LOR Seq Editor seems to be communicating with the 200B as the LEDs turn off when I open the Seq Editor. Now, how do I setup the 200B in the Channel Configuration control panel to control 200B? I currently have 6 channels setup as DMX Universe. “Allow DMX Editing” is turned on. What should the “Network” and “Circuit” be set to in the Channel Configuration control panel?

This should work for the first channel. The next channel I would think should be 114, 115......

post-2111-0-84405800-1353135018_thumb.jp

Edited by jeffl

I must still be doing something wrong. See attached pictures of my setup. I think LOR is communicating with the DMX. When I stop the sequence, the LED's come on. When I start the sequence, the LED's turn off.

post-3301-0-53071400-1353136543_thumb.jp

post-3301-0-29542000-1353136565_thumb.jp

Maybe my sequence is not setup correctly. Channel 2 on the DMX is the RED LED's. Channel 2 should translate to LOR DMX 114. If I turn on channel 114, the RED LED's should come on. Is this the way it works or is this totally wrong?

If the unit is set to 113 then the first channel in LOR needs to match that. It looks like LOR set to start at 114 which would make it 1 off with the first channel not getting anything.

Tried that also but still doesn't work. I reviewed the DMX infomration on the LOR site and it mentioned the LOR units which were capable with DMX. Up to now I've just had the DMX unit directly connected to the USB465B. So, I assume at least one LOR unit also needs to be on the same USB465B. I also see in some of the question on the forum about using +1 for DMX in LOR. This was channel configuration in the picture I attached in my earlier responses.

The Chauvet 200B is a 6 channel DMX unit.

Channel 1: RGB selection/setup. Setting this to 0 is the RGB mode.

Channel 2: Red

Channel 3: Green

Channel 4: Blue

Channel 5: Strobe

Channel 6: Dimmer

What is your Network Configuration? Do you have an LOR network and a DMX Network? or just DMX?

Your first post mentions "LOR Unit ID 8" which makes me think you have two networks.

Right now I'm just trying to check out a new DMX device. This is the first time trying setup the DMX device. The sequence I am using has both LOR and DMX devices. My physical network to check out the DMX device is one USB485B with one LOR 16 Channel Controller and one DMX device.

Do you have the RS-485 adapter for your LOR connected to the computer? Since you have LOR RS-485 network devices in your sequence (and I would assume in your network configuration), you MUST have the RS-485 adapter for the LOR network plugged in as well as the DMX adapter. If you don't, the control lights checkbox will keep un-checking.

Not sure what you are asking. I do have a RS-485 adapter (USB485B). The LOR Controller and DMX device is plugged into the USB485B. I don't have a DMX adapter in the circuit. Everything I have read indicates the LOR CTB16PC is capable of controlling DMX devices (see attached pic). Do I need a separate USB DMX adapter in order to control the DMX device (Chauvet 200B)?

The LOR Seq Editor seem to be communicating with the 200B. That is, when the 200B in operating in the stand alone mode, you can set it up in a Music or Auto Mode. Before the LOR Seq Editor in openned, the 200B in in the stand alone mode (i.e. LED's are ON). When the Seq Editor is openned, the 200B LED fade off, putting it in the DMX RGB mode I believe.

post-3301-0-85245200-1353212970_thumb.jp

I think everyone might need a diagram of your setup. From this they would be able to pinpoint the problem. Just a text based diagram like this would be good. A screen shot of your Network Preferences window would also be good.

USB485B #1 -> LOR CTB16PC running LOR protocol

USB485B #2 -> DMX Dimmer running DMX

I had to read this a few times... It's a little confusion trying to understand what you are doing. Let me see if I understand you correctly....

You have the 200B setup as channels 113 thru 118 (6ch DMX). Im guessing you have 7 LOR 16ch controllers, hence the reason your starting with 113 (The 7 LOR units equals 112 channels).

Now, I think your reading the attach doc wrong. Yes, you can control the LOR units in DMX, but you need to be sending out a DMX signal. Just because your using an LOR controller doesn't mean it will communicate with DMX devices. So if communicating to the 7 LOR units and using LOR protocol, then you can not connect a DMX device to the LOR network to expect it to work. All your LOR units would need to be in a DMX universe in order for the 200B to work.

So are you using a LOR network or DMX universe? Im guessing your using your USB-RS485B is a LOR network and not as Raw DMX, but to verify...go to Edit>Preferences>Network Preferences. This will show if your USB-RS48B is in a LOR network or DMX Universe.

You can use your USB-RS485B as a DMX dongle. You would need to change it from LOR to DMX in the Network Preferences. This would communicate with the 200B and LOR controllers.... BUT would would also have to change your sequences for the 7 LOR controllers from LOR Network to DMX Universe.

Also important.... You MUST have Advance version of S3 for it to work in DMX.

Kevin

OK. Attached is the DMX channel configuration. Below is the network schematic.

Computer (LOR R3) ---> USB485B ---> CTB16PC (LOR protocol) ---> Chauvet 200B (DMX Universe protocol) (address set to 193)

post-3301-0-81029800-1353218557_thumb.jp

What you have will not work. LOR and DMX protocols have to run on different networks.

This combination noted below would work with one USB485B adapter (1 DMX universe). If you want to run two networks, you will need a USB485 adapter for LOR and a separate adapter for DMX.

Computer (LOR R3) ---> USB485B ---> CTB16PC (DMX protocol) ---> Chauvet 200B (DMX Universe protocol) (address set to 193)

Please take screen shots of this screen. Both the LOR and DMX tabs. This will be very helpful.

I'm running LOR S3 Ver 3.3.0 Advanced Edition. I'm not sure where this screen you sent is. My Network Perference screen is different. I would attach it but it looks like I have exceed my file upload limit.

So, you are saying if I only have one USB485 that all the LOR controller would need to be setup as DMX Universe. I assume in this mode, I would have the total control of the CTB16PC. Is the perferred setup to run both LOR and DMX devices is to have two adpaters?

Mine looks different too. I'm running 3.4.0. Jeff is probably running the latest.

Upload pictures to a free website then link them.

You can control the LOR units and 200B in DMX Universe with just the one RS-485 but I prefer to keep the LOR controllers and DMX devices in separate networks.

Kevin

OK, so I have simplified the network just to check out the 200B by itself but still no joy.

Computer ---> USB485B ---> Chauvet 200B

Under network preferences, the adapter is setup as DMX: Universe 1, Adapter: A80082JA, Protocol: Raw DMX. Chauvet 200B address is 193.

Link below to picture for the network preference, channel configuration, and sequence pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90203151@N04/