Light-O-Rama Forums

1600W controller blowing CB and GFI with no lights active

Brett Lee

It's late so have not starting trouble shooting. Looking for direction in that regard. First 8 channel power supply line plugging in and is blowing GFI and breaker. second 8 chanels are working. Replace 15amp fuse also. The kick is not turning any lights on when plugging in. Where is the draw, a short on the board. Other two 16 channel controller working fine. Please assist. Afraid I have fried that side. I did have the contoller off the house for painting in the summer.

Thank you in advance.

So the controller worked fine previous years but now it blows a breaker as soon as you plug it in? And it sounds like you leave it mounted outside all year long. Maybe a bug or slug crawled inside and shorted something.

says that he "had it off of the house for painting in the summer". So I assume that he took it down this past summer and stored it. But any critter could have built a nest in the controller in while it was stored. Op open the box and take a look around. Any signs that someone moved in to the box and left behind a mess?

Well, found the problem not the fix. Cleaned the PCB of spider nest and light debri, no change. Found Channel 7 is hot when turning on the contoller and was hooked up to a shorted extention chord blowing the GFI and CB. Tried looking for an internal short in the controller to no avail. Reset input switches N/O N/C no change. Believe this is over my head just leaving channel 7 off the display waiting for a replacment controller.

Anyone ever come across this situation?

A short like that will almost certainly blow the triac.

Replace the triac, and you'll be back in business on that channel.

• 2 weeks later...