Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels 1-8 Don't Work!

coachrizner

This is the second year I have used this controlled/software. Last year everything worked perfectly. I stored the controller and hooked it up just like last year. I have the same set up (# of lights, etc)as last year. I hooked everything up 9-16 works 1-8 does not. It is not the fuse, I swapped fuses and 9-16 worked with both fuses. I also changed where they werre plugged in, in two different outlets. Regardless 9-16 worked and 1-8 did not. Ideas???

LOR emailed me to reset the channel ID switches, which I did, but the same problem continues. Any ideas???

The Model is LOR160xW. I set the channel IDs to 0-0 plugged it in, the light flashes quickly. Then I reset the IDs to 0-1 and plugged back in. I'm not sure if that is a system reset? This did not fix the problem.

Had an issue with one of my controllers doing this, although different model {CTB16PC series}, but what it was was one of the spade terminals that the neutral wire connected to had come loose. I resoldered it and everythig worked fine.

So you may want to trace the ends of your power cords and see if possibly this could have happened or you may have inadvertantly pulled one of the power cord power connections off, black (hot) or white {neutral}, if so, reconnect and you should be good, but if the spade on the PC Board has come detached, it will require the board be taken out of the case and the terminal soldered back in place to restore power to those channels. It's what I had to do with mine.

BTW: it's very easy to miss a disconnected power wire in all those wires in the controller, to look very carefully to be sure everything is connected.

Good Luck.

I bought the controller already built. Did you build yours yourself? Should I take the cover plate off the front of the controller and look in there? Obviously I have no idea how to do what you suggest.

The Model is LOR160xW. I set the channel IDs to 0-0 plugged it in, the light flashes quickly. Then I reset the IDs to 0-1 and plugged back in. I'm not sure if that is a system reset? This did not fix the problem.

Yes, that is the controller reset. It is possible that your fuse holder has gone bad, or a loose wire. You can work with LOR on repair/replacement, or depending on how comfortable you are checking things yourself, you can get guidance here.

Double (and then triple) check that you have power to the left hand side of the board. When channels 1-8 are out that is usually a power problem.

I have flip flopped outlets, switched fuses, switched outlets completely, resest the channels. Still 1-8 doesn't work, 9-16 does. LOR help desk has been able to offer any suggestion. This is only the second year for this box. Everything work last year when I put it away. I opened up the box and everything looks connected and clean. Frustrated!

How handy are you with electronics? If you have a multimeter, there is a kit troubleshooting guide that has some steps you can take to try to trace the problem...

I am not, but I can find someone who is. Can you send me a link to the guide? Also, how do you check if electric is coming through when it is not hooked up to the computer? Is there a way to do it where all channels stay 'on' to check the electrical flow? When the control box is plugged in and not running a show aren't all the channels 'off'?

Guest Don Gillespie

is the controller plugged into an outlet? or is the controller plugged into an extension cord and then into the outlet? give us as much info as you can, if it is plugged into an extension cord try a different extension cord happened to me once. changed the extension cord and everything worked perfectly.

I have one box, 16 channels. I used it last year for the first time and everything was perfect. I stored it (inside) and when I hooked it back up on Friday, 1-8 did not work. 9-16 did. I first swapped outlets (plugging directly into the outlet - no extension cords), then I moved to an entirely different outlet (no extension cords), then a swapped fuses and then swapped fuses and fuse holders. With all of these different combinations 9-16 worked and 1-8 never did. I reset the channels to 0-0 and the back to 0-1 (at the direction of LOR help desk). I also tested it using the hardware utility. Once again 9-16 works and 1-8 does not.

I have a friend that is an electrician. I am going to ask him to see it he can test whether the current is reaching (an exiting) the fuse. Someone said it may be a bad fuse assembly.

Any other suggestions anyone has I will give it a shot!! LOR help desk seems baffled by this one.

I'd say if were electrically inclined or at least had some knowledge, open the box, look for the power cords and trace their wires to where they connect. Again, could be a bad spade terminal on the PC Board which would require soldering skills to repair, easy fix, if you can solder. Or it could be that one of the wires is not making good contact on the power cord where the spade connector is crimped on it, then the final possibilit would be there couid be a broken wire internally somewhere on the power cord that supplies power to the circuits 1-8. And yes, all channels are off when the controller is just plugged in.

But to check most of the issues above would require opening the box and tracing the wires, it would also require a multimeter with a continuity option to check for a broken wire or bad female spade connector on the power cord to the PC Board. Which you would check with the controller UNPLUGGED and no power going to it for a continuity check. You would also have to unplug each connection {both the hot {Black wire} and the Neutral {White wire}} from the PC Board male spade lugs soldered to the board to verify the wire is not broken anywhere internally.

I still think this is going to turn out to be a possible connection on the PC Board has come loose {male spade connector} or one of the power {female spade connector} on the end of the power cord has somehow gotten removed or just may be dislodged enough that it isn't getting power to circuits 1-8. I'd open the controller and press down on all the connections to each terminal with the power off, then power the controller back up after doing this to see if that may be the problem.

I had a power cord come dislodged on a controller when I was rerouting the cat5 once, and I did have a controller I did have to resolder the neutral connection {male spade terminal} back on the board. And both controllers had lost power to circuits 1-8, the same as yours.

So I'm still thinking this is possibly something very simple that is being overlooked, very easy to miss an unplugged connection with all the wires inside the controller.

Good Luck.

Edited by Orville