Light-O-Rama Forums

What laptop to get

Duckman

I am thinking about getting a laptop computer to do my sequencing on (or should I say my wife said I need to get one so I am not hogging the desk top computer) and to run my show and I was wondering what other people are using? How big do I need to go? Would a $300 laptop do the trick?

Thanks

the LOR software is pretty kind to the machines today. Just about anything you buy will run the show. What I think needs the most processing is the actual sequencing. A lot of people live on laptops, I personnal hate them. But I also have four desktops a house of 2! Working in an IT shop we often get questions about what to buy. Our standard response is pick a dollar amount and spend it. I would stay away from any off-store brands. Keep with a Dell, HP, etc....

what are you planning for? Are you using just incands, or do you use DMX and pixels? Are you wanting to use the Visualizer for sequencing or just the Animator? What else do you do online? play games, or just browse? These all have an impact on what to choose. If you're doing DMX or using the Visualizer, you'll need at least a dual-core, (i3-i5-i7), enough memory(4GB) with dedicated video memory and if you're using any video, large enough storage (500GB+).. If you are just starting out and using incands (non-smart lights), the animator to view your seq. work, browse, watch a few online videos, etc, then you can still use a dual-core porcessor (min), 2GB memory, a 250-320GB hard drive, DVD (blu-ray would be a bonus).. for either HDMI video out is a plus.

There are soooo many used computers at Joe's Computer and Haircare Center (or Goodwill) for not more than $50 you could use for a show computer. Clean off the hard drive, reformat, reload XP, (or get Windows7 Upgrade).

If you want something new, yes, a new $300 laptop would work, but STICK with Windows 7, do not take anything with Win8 on it.

a few people posted here already stating that W8 is set up more for a touch screen tablet. Or any platform, but with a touch screen. The start button has either been removed totally or you need to find the proper settings to return the start button. I think I will stay with W7 long enough that maybe W9 or 10 will be out by then. But by then they will have a new naming scheme.

Computer just took a dump so I had to go out and get a new one, yup, Windows 8. I HATE it! But at least it's running LOR S3 fine. Who are the idiots that decided the same software designed for tablets should be installed on PC/Laptops??? Idiots!!!