Light-O-Rama Forums

New CTB16PCg3 not recognized by Hardware Utility

daddyalj

Ordered and finished putting together a new CTB16PCg3 controller. The PCB was already installed in the box. I connected to the computer and opened the Hardware Utility to assign a unit number. Clicked Auto Configure and HU located the controller but says it is an unknown device. I was able to assign a unit ID, but it still shows as an unknown device. Not sure what to do to correct this problem.

Please help if you might know what I have done or what I need to do. Thank you.

Ordered and finished putting together a new CTB16PCg3 controller. The PCB was already installed in the box. I connected to the computer and opened the Hardware Utility to assign a unit number. Clicked Auto Configure and HU located the controller but says it is an unknown device. I was able to assign a unit ID, but it still shows as an unknown device. Not sure what to do to correct this problem.

Please help if you might know what I have done or what I need to do. Thank you.

The "Unknown Device" message usually occurs with a G3 board and S2 software.

The reason is that the file the software reads to populate that field doesn't have any information about the G3 controllers in there. This doesn't affect the operation of the controller. However, with the S2 software you do not have the ability to adjust dimming curves, etc.

Don, is there no possibility of a newer "controller table" to update S2 to just recognize newer boards.. not to use newer features, but to just do away with "Unknown Device"? It's better to upgrade/update to S3 to avail yourself of the new features (even non-led curves), but some cant quite get the nickels together to upgrade.

I agree, the unknown device message tends to make you think there could be something flakey on the network. This could take troubleshooting efforts in the wrong direction.

I chose to stay at 2.9.4 for reasons other than the cost of LOR3. Luckily, I purchased used generation 1 controllers this year to match what I already have since I’m a little anal :huh:

Guest wbottomley

I suspect that if you had a current version of the LOR_DeviceFile.txt it would correct this "issue".

Great idea. And... it's available in all versions of S3 software.

Maybe someone can post there's or DevMike can.

Thanks for the replies. After I posted my question, I was locked out of the forum until today. Thanks for your help.

Alan