Light-O-Rama Forums

Power-on/off

craigsrobotics

I have a show set to start on power-up. Can anyone tell me if it's ok to abruptly cut power off to the commercial series controllers? Could cutting power off mid-show corrupt the sequences? I do understand the shows can be scheduled, and shutdown gracefully, but I have pre-canned sequences already programmed for me from LOR, and I cannot modify the show.

I don't have much knowledge of the Commercial units. It sounds like you are running the show stand alone. In my limited knowledge that would not cause an issue.

Logic: It would be the same thing as if the power went out and that would ruin many days if the sequences could get corrupted that easy.

Thanks EM, yes its standalone 32 channels. LOR handled all the programming for us since we're on short time to get up and running. I informed them we wanted the show to start on power-on, and I would imagine that it will loop until we cut power...Being that I'm in the I.T. industry, that's a no-no for computers, so I was applying the same theory here....hopefully not a problem, tho...

Good Morning. I would recommend that you back-up your sequences... I am sure that these would be included in the normal backups that you perform anyway... :-)

• Like 1

Thanks EM, yes its standalone 32 channels. LOR handled all the programming for us since we're on short time to get up and running. I informed them we wanted the show to start on power-on, and I would imagine that it will loop until we cut power...Being that I'm in the I.T. industry, that's a no-no for computers, so I was applying the same theory here....hopefully not a problem, tho...

I'm guessing you have one of the built in MP3 Directors. I would either ensure that both units are shut off a the same time, or that the one with the director card is shut down last. All the files are open read only. There is no reason for the MP3 Director to write to the card, with possibly the exception of a one time write, to remove a clock update file.

The reason I recommend the one with the director last, is that both units will supply accessory power, that can power the MP3 Director. If they are close together all that will happen if the one with the director in it is powered off first, is that the director and the second unit will continue to play until the second one is turned off. If they are > 50 cable feet apart, there is a chance that turning off the one with the director may cause the voltage from the other one to have too much voltage drop, and result in under voltage operation.

By the same reasoning, the one with the MP3 director should be turned on first... Or keep them less than 50 cable feet apart, and it really doesn't matter...

Thanks...yes I have the MP3 director unit, and they're exactly 1 inch apart from each other using the standard rj45 cable from the starter package...I tested last night by powering both down at the same time, waiting, then powering both back on, then again, and again...seems to work fine....I will backup the show just in case....thanks for the input!!