Light-O-Rama Forums

How to link controllers?

Stone Roots

Just a quick question - I had bought the residential PC controller last year and really enjoyed it and wanted to add 2 more this year - do they simply link up via Cat5? For instance I plug a Cat5 from my laptop to controller A > then if i remember right there is another Cat5 recepticle on the controller that makes them available to daisy chain them to other units, yes?

Correct. The controllers connect via a CAT5 (or CAT6) cable.

Just wanted to make sure you (and others who may be reading) know that with the basic setups, you need to plug in to the USB485 and not directly into your computer.

Hey Don, related question please. I noticed on the ELL, Easy Light Linker, there's two Cat5 connections. One obviously connects to the first controller and daisy chain on out to the others. That second CAT5 though, will it allow a different daisy chain connection off in some other direction at the same time? RS485 communication, it shouldn't matter at all but I'm wondering if the LOR controllers might indeed care in their communication or are they simply parallel?

Hey Don, related question please. I noticed on the ELL, Easy Light Linker, there's two Cat5 connections. One obviously connects to the first controller and daisy chain on out to the others. That second CAT5 though, will it allow a different daisy chain connection off in some other direction at the same time? RS485 communication, it shouldn't matter at all but I'm wondering if the LOR controllers might indeed care in their communication or are they simply parallel?

Simple RS-485 daisy chain. You can have the ELL in the middle of the chain.

Ok, cool...we can run CAT5 cables out either way from it then. I was thinking this was the way it is but wanted to ask anyway.

I have 16 controllers and 3 CCB's. Can I use a bridge to connect the controllers or do they have to be daisy chained?

They need to be daisy chained.