Light-O-Rama Forums

2/4/8/24 license question

cgenheimer

Brain:

I think I;ve got it striaght. If I build a mega tree 12.5 feet using 6 controllers (CCP). In the Super Star layout, I layout the tree to number of CCRs to 12 and set ribbon length to half.

But in the LOR visualizer, I use 24 strings in the setup.

Thanks

Yes, cabletiesandmore is where I bought it from, the web page is http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/colorloom.php

I bought 300 ft for $127.50 plus shipping. 300 ft is the exact theoretical length you need, it would be nice to have some extra. But 300 ft is a full roll. After I was done, I ended up cutting 6 inches or so from the lengths that were too long and adding them to the last one that was too short.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of great info in his thread for me,cuz I'm planning a LOR 24 string tree. But sorry I'm a liit bit slow in understanding this stuff,

Is the LOR's new superspeed network in the controller or the latest version of SS Software or do you use both?

Brian: Did you use 1  or 2 networks to send data to your tree?

You said text didn't look good because of spacing......What spacing did you use ? and what would you recommend for good text spacing?

I will need approx.100' of cat 5 to get to where I plan to use the tree .......Are there any issues with sending data thru Cat5 that far?

Thanks

The new 500k speed is not in the SuperStar softwar. Think of it as being in the Sequence Editor and the controller. To use the 500k speed you must go into network preferences in the Sequence Editor and choose 500k for the speed. You also have to have the latest firmware in the controllers that are going to use it.

In my tree I used 2 networks and I was using the 115k speed and it worked fine. So using one network at the new 500k speed should work well also.

The CCPs are spaced 6 inches apart and I did not scrunch up the spacing at all, in other words, the strands are stretched out to their full length which means my pixels in the strands are spaced 6 inches apart. To get better text on the strands of the tree you would want 3 inch spacing on the strands, and would to increase the number of strancds to 48.

Myself, I think the general effects are the impressive thing on the tree strands and I wouldn't want to quadruple the cost of my tree to get better quality text. In my next tree I plan on sticking with a 12 ft tree made of 24 strands, each strand being 25 pixels spaced 6 inches apart. But I want to make the globe a little bigger and increase it from 4 rows of pixels to 8 rows with the idea that I can then do very good quality text on the globe because the spacing is about 1 inch apart on the globe. And to increase from 4 rows to 8 rows only requires one more controller.

As for the length of the cat 5 cables. Mine are 50 ft, but the specs on the cat 5 cable say the signal should be good for 300 ft so you should not have a problem with 100 ft.