Light-O-Rama Forums

Securing small"ish" display items...trying something new

Klayfish

Not sure if anyone else has posted about this before, but I didn't see it when I did a quick search for it. I was trying to think of ways to secure my mini-trees and a few other fairly small items on my lawn, such as a 4' blow up penguin. Never had mini-trees before, but in years past I would always have issues with small items blowing over in a stiff wind.

This year, we welcomed a new addition to our family...a 2 year old black lab and great dane mix dog. Got him from the local animal rescue. Living on a main roadway where cars go by at 40-50mph can be dangerous for a dog. We learned the hard way earlier in the summer... :( So when we got this dog, we very promptly installed an electric dog fence. Part of the dog fence training is installing little flags in the yard. So I've now got about 400 flags, which are just 8" tiny metal rods, laying in my basement.

I ripped the flags off them, and bent them in half, so they're like a sharp angle "V" and used them to anchor my mini trees and small blow ups. Granted, I haven't had my blow ups inflated for any length of time yet, but in the week my mini trees have been standing, we've had some nice wind gusts. They're holding steady and it's looking promising.

Edited by Klayfish

I have some mini trees and some 6ft trees that I anchor with 3ft rebar. I just hammer the rebar into the ground and zip tie to them.

Thought about using rebar. But I've got so many things to put in, and I was surprised how much each piece of rebar is. Hoping to save a few bucks using these....

If you use tomato cages, the extra length clipped off of the top makes a very usable hook for anchoring the tree into the ground.

Other option is the hooks that come with most gemmy (and similar) blow-ups.

Before I heard about using rebar I was outside in the rain setting up blow molds every hour. The price is well worth it for me. My biggest issue getting it pounded into my #$%#@! rocky ground.

• Like 1

I use fence wire, it's about 3/16 thick. It's a bit tough to cut, hacksaw a cut then bend/break it. Great stuff for anchoring elements and wire and doesn't rust.

I use Coleman 10" metal tent stakes for my mini trees (one on each side). Keeps them all in place.

I found a great deal on a bag of used ones.

• Like 1

Can use Garden Staples. Can get a bulk box of them at Home Depot or Lowes for pretty cheap. They are used for holding down deer/bird netting, or landscape/weed fabric.

fabricpins_large.jpg

• Like 1

I used tomato cages and clipped the top ring off leaving a 4 inch wire which I shove all or part way into my lawn. For some larger mini-trees I use one of those tent stakes with a hook on it. I guess it depends on what kinds of wind you get. The great northwest seems to get a lot of wind so some of those folks might have a better method but for me this works.

Thought about using rebar. But I've got so many things to put in, and I was surprised how much each piece of rebar is. Hoping to save a few bucks using these....

depends on where you get the rebar, I usually go with whatever the cheapest is at Lowe's. Two footers work for most of my stuff.

I had thought about clipping off the top (now bottom) ring and shoving it into the ground, but that would have made my tree 4" shorter, which I didn't want. But I think I will definitely have to invest in some rebar. I bought 5' wooden stakes and used them to secure some 6' and 7' artificial trees, but one already fell.

Lawn staples...brilliant!! Heading to HD or Lowes to get some.

Can use Garden Staples. Can get a bulk box of them at Home Depot or Lowes for pretty cheap. They are used for holding down deer/bird netting, or landscape/weed fabric.

fabricpins_large.jpg

These are exactly what I use to secure my (tomato-cage) mini trees. Have worked great for many seasons.

I use plenty of rebar, green fenceposts, etc for larger items.

For airblowns, I use those dog tie out anchors that screw into the ground. I also put a bungee cord between the rope from the airblown and the tie down. It allows some flexability in the wind.

I don't trust the stakes that are provided with the airblowns, IMHO, they won't hold in windy conditions.

I think the airblowns look good during the day, so I never turn mine off. I know the directions say not to run them continuously, but, I've never had a problem.

I haven't used airblowns since I got into LOR, but this year, I broke down and bought the 12' Santa from Home Depot. I figure he will look pretty good with my 20' mega tree. lol

Jerry

I had a few props blow over last season, after standing them up a few times i put good old tent steaks in the ground and the hook over the edge of prop. They stayed up the rest of the season. As for my mini trees i just got some extra grey pvc cut it in half with a 45 deg. angle pound it in the ground, drill hole in top, spray paint black put the tree on it,run zip tie through tree and hole to secure to pvc, good benefit to this is there not on the ground getting wet or buried in the snow. we can get a lot of snow in ny...