Light-O-Rama Forums

Now the Worry Begins

dgrant

Worry as in two things, first, will the show actually look nice to everyone who sees it or drives by and secondly, will it all work normally and continue to work through the season? Since I'm a newbie, I can only hope that this show turns out nice and people enjoy. There's only one other house in the near many miles who does lights to music and they are well known by everyone. I drove by their place yesterday and they are indeed setting up their display. OMG, their megatree must be 30 feet tall! Compared to my 15 footer...oh well, its not a competition. No one was home there yesterday but will try again to catch them so I can ask for advice and see what they are using for controllers. I understand they get a LOT of traffic there of people looking at the lights plus they have a huge yard to work with.

My tests here show its all working normally and ready to run. I've got three LED flood lights coming tomorrow and once they are connected, its all done.

Yesterday, I tested the music to the speakers and concerned that the neighbors might not appreciate it for the whole first show of each night. If I get any complaints, I'll just let the FM transmission handle the entire night's shows and no audio to the speakers. 27 songs ready to run. Anyway, just the pre-show worries. Anyone else with the same concerns?

Definitely try to keep your worries in check and keep reminding yourself you're doing this for FUN!

With the neighbors, communication in advance seems to work well often with others. I see some people have a pre-party type of invite in advance and share coffee and treats. I know some people might say ask for forgiveness and not permission, but I have had good luck soliciting my neighbors' input on even some of my elements in my display and where they think things would be best - i.e. I asked them where they thought the speakers would work for my goal while maintaining their acceptable sound limits. It was also a good time to talk about my show schedule to put any fears to rest in advance and not cause anyone any anxiety about what my show was about.

Good luck with your show!! That fact you are asking shows you are compassionate/considerate and I bet you get along great with your neighbors!! Cheers and happy lighting!!

I've talked to several of the neighbors and I advised the association early this year so there should be no surprises. I've told everyone who has asked, audio to the front yard for the first show of the night, then speakers go off. Also let them know the show will shut down at 10Pm, therefore basically 6Pm to 10Pm only. I told the association that this first year, I doubt there'll be any traffic issues such as this other house in town has but the following years, I've got no clue. The immediate neighbors are all for the show and are looking forward to it. One even volunteered to help put it all up! I did it myself already but still, the offer was nice. In my sequencing, I was trying my best to achieve song related sequences as opposed to making it look like Las Vegas....therefore not a lot of blinking lights to bore people with, rather a themed display. I'm guessing everyone here in the forums, does the same. I've seen lots of very nice videos in here and hoping mine turns out as nice.

Oh yes, there's a sign out there inviting everyone for the first lightup next Friday. I'll address them at that time. Thinking of handing out candycanes to the kids, possible hot chocolate and cookies. No, I won't drag it out either. One kid will get picked to start the show with the push of an illiuminated button that I wired up and tested yesterday.

Edited by dgrant

One thing you may want to do...if you have not yet is...create a show...and then run the verifyer to make sure you have no channel conflicts.

One thing you may want to do...if you have not yet is...create a show...and then run the verifyer to make sure you have no channel conflicts.

I certainly have created the show and tested it completely using the visualizer before putting up the lights. Show runs fine and since going outside, I tested the show yesterday with starting it and it ran normally. What I've not done is run the verifier, therefore thank you for suggesting that, which I will do.

Edited by dgrant