Light-O-Rama Forums

Power questions

keith5885

Hey so this is what I got for light counts and AMP estimates. Unfortunatly I am not LED yet... maybe if I find a ton of sales at the end of the year.

Power questions - Noob in this area too. Got a few hints from others but wan't your experience advice. Thanks!

1. Should I balance my Controllers with more even amps?

2. So I have one outlet that is GFI on the balcony that is probably 15 or 20 amp circuit (will check)

3. If it is 20 Amp do I need to find a second outlet that is on a different circuit to plug into somewhere in the house?

Estimates of Amps are based on most of my lights are 100 count strands that say on the box .16 amps so I used that equation. For Floods they are 100 watt bulbs and 2 on each channel. .83 amps per bulb. I think that's right.

2012-11-13_2103.png

The first question to consider is at any point during your show, will ALL of your channels be ON??

The second question is what other receptacles are on your GFI receptacle on the balcony and is it in use while your show is running

(one of our exterior GFI is also on the master bath circuit, before going to LED's the circuit would trip if the wife pluged in her curling iron or blow dryer while show was on)

Do a little more research and let us know your findings

1. I would say the you don't need to have a balanced load on each controller. The loads on my 15 controllers vary significantly from one to another.

2. Assuming that the outlet is a 20-amp outlet, you should be OK to run both controllers from the single outlet, although you're above the recommended 80% rule, which says that it's good practice to only load each circuit to 80% of its capacity, or 16 amps, in the case of a 20-amp circuit.

Very impressive matrix on tracking your power consumption!!!

1. Not necessary to balance your loads.

2. You will be OK in your listed setup to use the one outlet.

3. Aaron is giving some good advice and as others have mentioned you should consider if you have everything on at the same time. I see you have a face, so you won't have all of those on at the same time, do your total is closer to the 80% Aaron mentions.

You are good to go!!! Again, well done on your detailed spreadsheet. Pretty inspiring to us statistical types!!

ok well good, I'm not the only once with OCD apparently.... now... I have 3 dedicated 30 amp breakers.... running 10 g wire to 3 dedicated recepitcals... one for each controller. Someone told me I needed to be concerned.....should I?

Edited by paralegalnc

Yes there is a strong chance for concern.

Just cause the wire is 10 ga and the breaker is 30 amp. No socket that I know of will handle 30 amps and be configured for a standard 110V plug. I think 20 amps is max. Thats the one that has one verticle blade and one that is both vertical and horz.. If you put a 15 or 20 amp rated receptacle on a 30 amp breaker. There is a chance that if you draw more current through that receptacle, it could get hot and catch on fire.

You can always have a larger wire than the breaker. But the breaker should not exceed the lowest current carrying rated item that is not fused or otherwise protected.

Edited by Max-Paul
  • Like 2

Yes there is a strong chance for concern.

Just cause the wire is 10 ga and the breaker is 30 amp. No socket that I know of will handle 30 amps and be configured for a standard 110V plug. I think 20 amps is max. Thats the one that has one verticle blade and one that is both vertical and horz.. If you put a 15 or 20 amp rated receptacle on a 30 amp breaker. There is a chance that if you draw more current through that receptacle, it could get hot and catch on fire.

You can always have a larger wire than the breaker. But the breaker should not exceed the lowest current carrying rated item that is not fused or otherwise protected.

that I believe has been put to rest. the receptical boxes are commercial boxes from our electrial supply house (they have 2 'sockets' or plugs in each box) its said to be ok.

ok well good, I'm not the only once with OCD apparently.... now... I have 3 dedicated 30 amp breakers.... running 10 g wire to 3 dedicated recepitcals... one for each controller. Someone told me I needed to be concerned.....should I?

I thought it was against the residential electrical code to run a dedicated 30 amp breaker to a single circuit other than for specialty appliances. Personalty if it was me I would put in 2 20 amp (or one tandem 20 amp) breakers and run them to two 20 amp dedicated GFCI. Run the standard 12 AWG wire, and keep it clean for resale.

Also it looks like on your LOR equipment your only pulling less than 45 amps. Assuming that your inflatables are on a different circuit and you're using .25 amp incan strings.

that I believe has been put to rest. the receptical boxes are commercial boxes from our electrial supply house (they have 2 'sockets' or plugs in each box) its said to be ok.

Not sure where you got your information that your configuration was"ok" Max-Paul is correct, there are no 30 Amp NEMA recepticles made to accecpt a standard 120Vac plug that would be a NEMA 1-15P (two wire plug) or NEMA 5-15P (Three wire plug). Appears to be a code issue.

I guess ya'll will just have to come and look. A. my husband is a contractor..and it's to code...B. my son in law is an electrician. We didn't get our stuff from a regular store. Everything should be just fine. In fact, next year we're thinking of doing a separate box and meter for our lights. think that will be easier.... and Columbus...arent the controllers "specialty appliances"? they are special to me :P

• Like 1