Light-O-Rama Forums

HOA offers up 1000 bucks for best lights in 1,500 home development area

keith5885

I've been getting help in newbies form and about to pull of 32 channels and 8600 lights with a singing tree.

Really hope no one else got the idea to do LOR too and robe me of the 1000 bucks I already spent. Haha

http://www.delsurcsc.org/events/neighborhood-lights-contest-2/

Last year with 4500 lights hooked up to Mr. Christmas I was a clear winner so I may just be going overboard BUT with a 1000 prize who knows what people will do.

A littler nervous cause the prize money will help me justify the expense. Got to love competition. Not like LOR isn't addicting enough!

Dec 7th is the big night...They announce on Dec 8th.

Regardless it gave me a reason to get into LOR like I wanted to!

Oh yeah my first two songs are great. Just trying to put together a good 20 min "show" that can hold people's attention. Going to mix in some Christmas Jokes Voice Overs that the talking tree will tell.

Also looking at doing some mash ups... small bits of famous songs... like 10 songs in 3 or 4 min.

Got a friend to do some sequencing too but we'll see how that goes.

By the way how sweet is this song: (Going to try to create my version of it)

Oh yeah my first two songs are great. Just trying to put together a good 20 min "show" that can hold people's attention. Going to mix in some Christmas Jokes Voice Overs that the talking tree will tell.

Also looking at doing some mash ups... small bits of famous songs... like 10 songs in 3 or 4 min.

Got a friend to do some sequencing too but we'll see how that goes.

I remeber some of this houses songs, cant remember this one. This one I like a lot. Ill put it right under Tinsel Town from SparkyLights display.

It was fine until the grating noises started around 0:45

Well... I'm worried they have some secret rule against light shows... I got an FM Transmitter so I can fight off noise complaints. Also inviting all the neighbors over for hot chocolate and cookies for the kick off night.

Last year I did Mr. Christmas without any complaints but new neighbors this year moved in across the street. They just built the houses across from us... so we will see. Sad thing is I haven't met them yet. Which is odd for me so this will give me a good excuse to meet people. Part of the reason I am doing it. Lots of kids around too that I think will enjoy it.

Now I find out they are having five 5th graders come around and judge. Trying to think of some songs to mix in that all 5th graders love. Any tips? lol

I'm in a POA and almost a year ago, I informed them that I was going to do this myself this first year out. No complaints and I carefully informed the immediate neighbors who were all for it. I will broadcast FM for the audio but also audio to speakers for the first show of the night only. Ran a sequence last night for friends that came by and it looked good plus some cars stopped to watch. Since I ran only the one sequence, they were waiting for more...had to walk over and tell them it was just a test and the first light up for mine will be this coming Friday the 23rd.

Hot Chocolate from Polar Express....obviously Frosty and Rudolph.....but I have 4 young girls and they like Hot Chocolate!

Good Luck!

Awesome. I already got Hot Chocolate all lined up and looking good. Will also give out fresh hot chocolate in the front yard the night of the competition. :)

Need to get on Frosty and Rudolph... got some sequences from others to work from.

Any other fan favorites in the 5th grader age range?

Any other fan favorites in the 5th grader age range?

I don't know about real 5th graders, but the kid in me loves these songs:

Bob Rivers - Yellow Snow (tune of Let It Snow)

Bob Rivers - Decorations (tune of Good Vibrations)

InsideOut - The Snowman Song

InsideOut - In the Sun They Melted (Snowman II)

Grinch Soundtrack - You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Bob Rivers - Toy Sack (tune of Love Shack)

The two InsideOut songs would fit your definition of mash-ups.

Hope this helps!

Edited by LORi P

Talk to the parents if you can and find out what kind of music they let the kids listen to. My 9yo nephew is dying to get back to my house now that he knows I have Gangnam Style.

I think i am going to stay out of this one! I have a reputation of pissing alot of people off about HOA's. Will just say not a fan of them nor will ever live in a neighborhood with one EVER! They are all sorts of evil. Telling people how to run their lives- not for me.

Like the others it's surprising to see a HOA encoraging light shows, but to give away $1000 on top of that is even more surprising. Makes you wonder about the HOA finances.

Good luck with the contest your show looks great.

It's technically the CSC that does events with money they get from new home sales in the area. Not our HOA fees.

Also... I never really asked if I could do the flashy light show and music. It's a modern HOA with rules so I worry there is some rule against it but.... I hope to make good relations with the neighbors and hope it doesn't drive too much traffic here.

We shall see...

... but to give away $1000 on top of that is even more surprising. Makes you wonder about the HOA finances....

$1000 in 1500 home HOA = $0.66 per house

$0.67 / 12 months = $0.06 per month per house

This prize is a drop in the bucket for their budget....